Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mikemike, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Mikemike

Mikemike Miscreant

Jun 18, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    How is this cab, in your opinion? If I used it as a standalone, would I be able to compete with a drummer and guitarist? Could it easily handle the low notes of a 5-string? It has the foster tweeter, and is rated at 600 watts. Also, on an off note, would it be dangerous to run a single 8-ohm cab off of a 4-ohm head? (I know that I shouldn't, but could I get away with it safely for a few months?)

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Running an 8 ohm cab from a head that will handle a 4 ohm load is not a bad thing at all; it isn't relevant. It's running a 4 ohm cab off an amp that is designed for an 8 ohm load that's bad (assuming solid state power amps).

Avatar cabs are a good buy for the money. The nice thing about a single 8 ohm 1x12 is that if it doesn't do enough of something, you can always add on another 8 ohm cab of a different sort for more of what you want. Whether it gets loud enough or handles low B well enough is completely subjective.