Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avatar SB cabs and the "mini rig"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikarre, Jul 5, 2004.

1. mikarre

mikarre Guest

I've had a few threads floating around here about putting my rig together for an upcoming band that will begin rehersing in about a month. I thank everyone so far for the advice. The members of this forum are always so helpful and knowledgeable.

I am now leaning towards putting together a "mini stack" consisting of a Hartke 3500 and an Avatar SB112 plus SB115 cabs. The Hartke amp will go in a a rack bag so it will be easy to throw over my shoulder and carry around. This rig will enable the Hartke to put out the full 350 watts without having to carry around 2 big cabinets.

My question is whether or not two smaller cabs will be able to push enough air to seem as loud as the 350 watts should. I would like to be able to put out enough volume to stay out of the PA for smaller gigs if nescessary. I don't see the point of carrying a big 4x10 plus 1x15 stack around pushing 500 - 700 watts like I was thinking of at one time. It really seems like the "mini rig" idea combines the best of power, portability, and flexibility, not to mention affordability.

Your thoughts are appreciated. I am interested in knowing of you think these little cabs will cut as far as power, low end clarity, and thump. I also would like your opinion as to whether I should go with 2 112 cabs, 2 115s, or a combination of a 112 and 115. Thanks in advance!

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I can't comment on the SBs, but I owned a first generation C15 and B112 (the cube like cabinets).

The tone/performance of the pair was quite incredible, much better than either cabinet by itself. I think the two different sized drivers would compliment each other well since they don't have identical frequency response.

I had the opportunity one time to compare my mini Avatar stack (combined impedance 4 ohms) against a 4 ohm Eden D210XLT. I fully expected that the Eden would sound better...louder, deeper, better, than the Avatars, since so may folks swear by Eden. Much to my surprise, the Avatars blew the Eden away. They were deeper, louder, brighter, more musical (to my ears anyway).

Having written all this, I wonder what the heck I was thinking when I got rid of them... :(

I recently discovered the Hartke 3500. I had never considered one, until I happend to plug in while auditioning a bass at Sam Ash, I was very impressed with the tone of the amp...I really liked it.

Sounds like a great rig!

3. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    cant speak about the SB series, but i have an avatar cab set up

4x10 , 2x12 to a G-K 1001 RB head, i must say the thing is killer....the 10s though are a lil weak on the deep low ends, so im rigging up a bass block to keep the deep lows on the 12s

avatar is deff top notch though for bang for the buck.