1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Avatar SB112 + Avatar SB112 or Avatar B115H Neo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BELLATOR, Apr 25, 2006.

1. BELLATOR

BELLATOR

Sep 7, 2005
    Which combination sounds the deepest, heaviest, and most earth shaking? Would you rather have two Avatar SB112s or one Avatar SB112 + one Avatar B115H Neo.

2. BELLATOR

BELLATOR

Sep 7, 2005
    Does anyone out there use 12" cabs and 15" cabs together? Do you have to use a bridged amp setup or bi-amped setup if you have two cabs with different wattage like the SB112 and the B115H? One is rated at 500 watts and the other is rate at 300 watts. Will using the 300 watt head I have be just enough for one cab but less for the other? If I had more power than 300 watts in the head would it be too much for the 300 watt cab? They are both rated at 8 ohms.

3. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    i would guess that the 112 and the 115 would be the most earthshaking. just seems right

4. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I would say the 115 and 112 also.I've had two of the Avatar 112s and together they sound good and go low but I think the 115 with the 112 would rumble more.Looking at Avatars site though it looks like he doesn't sell the 115s anymore.

5. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Lets assume your amp produces 300 watts at 4 Ohms. Two 8 Ohm cabs connected in parallel present a 4 Ohm load to the amp, and each cabinet will draw 1/2 of the available power, so each cab will get 150 watts.

You can actually do more damage to your speakers by having too little power, and having to run the amp wide open (and driving it into clipping) to get the volume you need, than having "too much" power (is there such a thing?). I'm using 2 old Eden cabs that have a combined power handling of about 600 watts, and I'm using an 800 watt amp with the master volume at about 10:00.

6. I have 2 Avatar CB112s and a CB115. I think the 2 12s sound a lot better together than a 12 with the 15. But it might be a moot point, since Avatar's not selling 15s anymore.

7. BELLATOR

BELLATOR

Sep 7, 2005
    On that note, how do you tell you are doing damage and clipping? I ask because I thought clipping was a distortion sound when playing bass clean with no distortion pedals, etc. While I was playing today I noticed an unusual sound come out of the speaker when I played the low E string a little more aggressive than usual. It sounded like farting or a louder growl. I have the EQ flat, the input volume at 3 o'clock, and the output volume at ~9 o'clock. I have passive pups, the bass volume knob is at max, and I'm using the high input jack. Am I causing damage if I hear this sound once in a while when playing aggressively?

8. Ken Lloyd

Ken Lloyd Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Portland, Maine
    Avatar has been selling their 15 cabs on eBay for a while, but I don't see them listed on the Avatar web site anymore.