Avatar SB112 - Newer Model, Any Good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hello all,

It's been a whie since I posted (been traveling a lot for work but I'm back and traveling will all but cease now). As some of you might remember, I was one of the first on the forum to give Avatar cabs a try and then posted reviews on a few of the models that I had purchased (4x10, 1x15, 1x12 compact, etc).

As most of you know, these are great cabs for the money. I recently (and finally) purchased a 5 string (Yamaha BB series). I found that my trusty workhorse Avatar compact 112 was not up to the task of a low B. I had sold my 4x10 and 1x15 a little while back and have been running the 1x12 soley and add the 2x10 as needed (for larger gigs). This setup worked great on my 4 string basses and saved my back from the pain of the 4x10 and 1x15.

So back to the subject. My 2x10 and 1x12 compact are not up to the task of a low B so I called Dave @ Avatar and told him my dilema. I wanted to maintain the portability that I have with the 1x12 and 2x10 but wanted to hit lower notes efficiently. He told me about his semi-new SB112 which has a larger cab than the old CB112 that I currently have and that it uses a Eminence Delta 12 LF (low frequency) instead of the Kappa 12 that's in my CB112.

He said that it's tuned to hit lower frequencies and does a nice low B. So my question is for those of you that have it, is this true? Thanks soooo much! :help:
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

My setup is a SB112 underneath a B210. Nice small setup and easy to transport. It's plenty loud enough for my gigs and I use them with a 500w head. I play nothing but 5 strings and yes it does the low B well.
  3. I have a newer CB112 (the front-ported model). It uses the Delta 12LF, and it handles a 5-string very nicely.
  4. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I have the SB112 and it handles my low B very well. I am very glad I got it. I now have the choice of bringing the 210 by itself for slap or the SB112 for fingerstyle and bottom. If I need volume I use both.

5. Quadzilla

Placed my order! Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted on how it works out....
  6. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hey Quadzilla,

Welcome back. I remember your original posts on Avatar cabs - they were instrumental in getting me interested in them. I'm thoroughly satisfied with mine and I'm up to 4 of them now (2 B112s and 2 SB112s). I couldn't really help with your original question about low B handling as I'm a dedicated 4-stringer.

But I do give the SB112 a big thumbs up and do notice better bottom end out of it than the B112. But I think the B112 has some additional mids so they pair up very, very well. My only problem now is deciding which combination of cabs to take to any given gig/practice.

Someday I'll get all 4 cabs out and photograph the permutations of what I can take ot any given gig now . . . (1 B112, 2 B112s, 1 B112 + 1 SB112, 2 SB112s . . . )
  7. Quadzilla

Hey there Craig, I remember you. Glad my reviews made the impression that they did. I'm even thinking of doing one for the SB112 when I get it. In any event thanks to you and all who chimed in here. I'm quite sure (well almost :) that I'll be happy with the new cab.
  8. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000

I bought my CB112 because of your comments on Talkbass. Great speaker cabinet!
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I love my SB112. I thought it produced the low B just great. It is a very nice cab for sure.

Yeah, I am selling it, but I wish I did not have to.

10. I've got a pair of the CB112's and have gigged them with my five strings quite a bit.They sound deeper than my 210 XLT and have a nice mid bark.They aren't as punchy but the pair of them gets louder than the 210 and are easy to carry in.I used to use just one at practice and it kept up fine much to my suprise.I use a Avatar 410 NEO now instead of the 112's.I use the 112's in our PA with different horns and they sound good for that too.Nice tight bottom.