Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groundloop, Mar 1, 2006.

1. SB 112

34 vote(s)
    45.3%
  2. SB 112 Neo

41 vote(s)
    54.7%
  1. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Hi folks,

The subject says it all. I've narrowed my choices down to these 2 cabs from Avatar, for portability and financial reasons. Anybody have experience with both? Or just a really strong opinion about either?

The cab will be used mostly in jams w/ 2 guitarists, powered by a Yorkville XS800, and I do play a 5 string about half the time, but usually don't play below a low D.

Thanks in advance.

Just figured out how to add a poll. Doh!

2. Haven't used either.

I do use a Neo 210 however, and am pleased.

You may want to search more on these forums - I believe I have read some info regarding the Neo 12's (which are Eminence Deltalite 2512s I believe) that indicates it is not all that great a speaker for bass.

The Neo 10's Avatar uses are custom made and have some different parameters that make them better for bass than the stock Neo 10's, but this was not the case for the 12's.

I was originally looking at going with the Neo 12's, but switched to 10's after looking into it around here. Wish I could tell you the exact threads...search for Bill Fitzmaurice I believe.

Just a suggestion...

3. From word of mouth, I think that the SB112 is fatter sounding than the neo. More old school. I really have no personal experience, though. :meh:

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Christo is right, go for the 210 Neo for sure!

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yeah, that's what I've gathered as well. If you're going for a 112, get the Delta rather than the Neo. It'll handle a lot more power too...

MM

6. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I've got a neo, it's definantly got much more of a mid bite than a low fat sound. FWIW the neo is like 8 or so pounds lighter.

7. bassplayin

bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    I LOVE my NEO 112 (red tolex) and use it regularly in rehearsals and on small to medium sized stages with my Ashdown ABM500EVOII. A friend of mine has the Delta equipped 112s and I've A/B'd them side by side: The Delta handles more power and has a deeper, darker tone and sounds more like a 15. The NEO has more punch and is clearer sounding in the upper midrange frequencies, leaning more towards the sound of 10s to my ears. BOTH have excellent lows and low mids.

For my purposes, the NEO 112 really does the trick- Ii's clean and clear sounding, but still has enough booty to move your pantlegs.

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I had two Avatar 112's. They are nice, but on paper. the NEO 2x10 is a better cab than the 1x12, no doubt about it..

9. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Thanks for the responses.

So far the poll is running 19 to 15 in favour of the Neo, but I am (and have been) leaning in the direction of the Delta, especially since Eminence has started introducing new versions of their Neo drivers, so I'm in a wait and see mode.

I should have mentioned that one of the reasons I'm looking at 112s is that the cab(s) will live most of their life in a rehearsal room that I rent out to help pay the bills. Since I already have a 210/115 in there, I thought the 112 would be a nice option for prospective renters.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Quadzilla,

Quick tangent: In a mini-rackmount system with crossover, consisting of two (2) B210 Deltas to handle mids, high mids and highs, and two (2) SB112 Deltas to handle lows and low mids, do you think the B210 Neos would be a suitable substitute for the SB112 Deltas? For this purpose would they be better, about the same, or not as good? Why? How would they compare & contrast? I'm asking primarily about comparative frequency response and the timbre & texture of their respective tones...

Thanks,

MM

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I would chose the 112 non-neo because It's not heavy by itself, it doesn't need to be lighter. I probably sounds better too.

12. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Actually, the weight savings (6 lbs) is the least of my concerns. The Neo weight advantage isn't that big a deal (to me) in single driver cabs (except 15s and larger).

Anyway, even though the poll is still running about 55% in favour of the Neo, people that have posted their opinions of the sound, still have me leaning toward the Delta. I definitely like a more 'old school' lo-mid push as opposed to a hi-fi modern sound, or hi mid bite.

13. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have the SB112. I have not heard the NEO. The SB112 is pretty light to me (I can carry it up/down stairs with one hand) It is plenty deep and punchy which is what I need. :smug:

14. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    i always say neo

15. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    One other thing, I have the B210 as well. They complement each other tone wise.

16. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Might I ask why?

17. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Anybody else?

Which is to say....

Bump.

18. I've had a couple of the SB112s with the Delta LFs,in fact our band still uses them for mid/highs with different horns in them.When I used them for bass they really worked great even with a B string.They are really portable like Marley's Ghost said,even with the Deltas I could still haul them with one hand.I havent heard the NEOs so I don't know how they sound but I know the SB112s sound real good.

19. BStringJerry

BStringJerry

Aug 5, 2005
    Texas
    I have a SB112 Delta LF and also a B210 Neo. As for the 210, it definitely sounds better with the Neos. Those speakers fit the Avatar size box better than the Deltas or Kappa Pros. If you run them through the WinISD program you’ll see what I mean. I’ve got those grafts (as well as the 112s) and if I can figure out how to get them posted, I will. As for the SB112, I bought mine used, off EBay because I got a good deal. I wanted a Neo, but I couldn’t pass up the deal. At about the same time, I found a deal on a raw 12” Neo, so I bought it thinking I would pull the Delta LF and replace it with the Neo. I had run those 112 grafts and the Neo looked a “little” better on paper for that size box (as for as a smooth graft, SPL and time delay), but with no where near the low end. After I received the SB112 Delta, it sounded so good I left it alone. If you’re after a 12”, then you’re looking for lows – you’ll get them with the Delta LF more so than you will with the Neo (in that box size). IMHO. Since weight is of little or no concern I would go with the Delta LF. Just my 2 cents.

20. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    what are your guys opinions of getting one delta, and one neo? I've been thinking about getting a matching 112NEO to gow tih my old one, but maybe I should go for a delta?