Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 2slick4u, Jan 22, 2005.

1. 2slick4u

Jan 18, 2005
    After nixing my combo idea, I've just decided to sell my current 4x10 cab, and just get a smaller one instead, a 112 one, obviously =P. While at first I was just about ready to go ahead and buy the Aguilar, I came across the Avatar SB112, and after reading a bit about avatar (a brand I orginally have never heard of before), I started to think about that one more. It is (considerably) more affordable, nearly a whole $200. More power, and seems of good quality. Of all the reviews I have read about avatar, I don't think that I have read a single bad thing about them. I have played the aguilar, and I loved the sound of it, especially the amount of punch it provided.

So, my question to you all is, which one of these cabs is better? Should I spend more and go for the Aguilar, or would I be fine with the Avatar?

(Btw, I'm using a Geddy Lee Jazz and play mostly rock, but I experiment with funk/slap on my own).
  2. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Understand one thing before you you do anything. You're going to loose a lot of volume as 112's are the quietest of all the major configs. That being said, GS112's can be found used all over the place for under $300, that's the way that I'd go. They're really nice sounding cabs, not aggressive, just real warm and thumpy.
  3. I cannot speak for the Aguilar but the Avatar is a good investment for the money. I do agree with the above post. I think you would be much happier with a 2 x 12 cab
  4. 2slick4u

Jan 18, 2005
    Unfortunately that would completely defeat the purpose of getting rid of the 4x10, as the 2x12's are just as big =P. If you're not to keen on the 112, what about the 210. If any of them I would go for the B210PRO. Reason being it uses the Kappa Pro speakers which can hit 45Hz, as opposed to the other two only being able to get 65Hz with the speakers they use. So would it be worth the extra 80 bucks to get the 210, or would I be just fine with the 112?
  5. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

Well I may not be able to comment on the Avatar SB112, I do have a GS112 and a Avatar 210 Kappa Pro. Pumping 350 watts into either... The Avatar, as you'll see all over the place, has a somewhat harsh tweeter, but that looks fixable with a x-over change that only costs a couple bucks. That being said, the Avatar has more midrange and a little more punch. The GS112 is more hifi. The Avatar is louder by a little, and MUCH heavier and more bulky than the GS112.

You're looking at downsizing a 4x10... I'd say your best bet is the 210 Kappa Pro. Running it along side my GK 410SBX, it seems to move almost as much air, and goes lower. I haven't tried putting my 1000 watts into the Kappa yet...but I'm sure that it would probably do very well :)
  6. 2slick4u

Jan 18, 2005
    What about low end? Would the 112 be able to put out more? The speaker used in the 112 (Delta 12LF) can only hit 45Hz, which is the same as the Kappa Pro's. So should I be able to expect the same amount of low end from the 210's?
  7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I agree with the above comments re: single 12. I have a GKNeo112 and its nothing special, and I have had an Avatar CB112 before. It had an Eminence Delta 12LF, foster tweeter and the usual budget crossover. (read HARSH) I'd personally not mess around with the cheap stuff anymore but thats just me. (new crossover from parts express or similiar is $50-$70)

My berg 2-10 puts out more low end than my single 15 cab. I think thats the case in general.
  8. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

Well, I can't comment on Avatar's single 12, but the thing is, there's no replacement for displacement. 2x10's have more cone area than a single 12. I should also comment that I am rather impressed with the bottom end of the 210 pro...which I run with an Acme B2... my portable 4x10. The Avatar holds up pretty well with my b-string at volume. Not as full as the Acme, but more full than the GS112 or the 410SBX on the bottom.

Maybe someone has experience using two CB112's. That might be the best of both worlds for you.
  9. 2slick4u

Jan 18, 2005
    Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll just go for the B210 Pro, and if that doesn't do the thing I may just add a 112, but I think I'll be okay.