1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Avatar SB123 vs LDS 1251 vs Acme Low B-1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Little Rock, Jun 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Little Rock

Little Rock Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    Hello, TBers!

I am looking for an affordable 3-way cab and the ones listed above are my front runners. I am aware of all the hype about Fearless/Fearful and Barefaced, but they cost at least twice as much.

My primary goal is to have a clear uncolored sound, as hi-fi as possible. Small size and low weight is important, but secondary. Power handling is also secondary, because I play mostly in the bedroom :).

Below is the price estimate and some additional data for each one.

- $458 shipped to NY state;
    - LF driver: 12"`Eminence Delta LF 12 ceramic;
    - Mid range driver: 6" closed back by Eminence (Not sure it is a good driver);
    - Tweeter: Foster horn;
    - Xover: Eminence @ 800Hz/5KHz (I guess it is a non-optimized off-the-shelf);

Acme Low B-1 (from website)
    - $525 + $TBD of shipping to NY state (not specified);
    - LF driver: 10"`(make and model not specified);
    - Mid range driver: 4.5" (make and model not specified);
    - Tweeter: 1" shallow horn (make and model not specified);
    - Xover: Custom not specified;

LDS 1251 (from e-mail exchange)
    - $480 + $60 of shipping to NY state ($540 total);
    - LF driver: 12"`Eminence BP122;
    - Mid range driver: 5" Dayton Audio;
    - Tweeter: Not specified;
    - Xover: Custom not specified;

Could You Guys, please, help me to decide, especially if you have experience with at least one of them?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  2. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    I can't offer a comparison of these, but I do own several LDS cabs (a 15/6, a 12/6, and a 12/12/5). No tweeters in any of them, and all the drivers are Kappalite. Really well built, and Don is an absolute pleasure to work with. I would definitely recommend him to anyone. Looks like you could get a custom build for about the same cost as off-the-shelf... if you have any non-standard features in mind that might be a factor in your decision.

G RICH 5, wave rider and Little Rock like this.
  3. revroy

revroy Supporting Member

I had an Acme B2 for a while. The low end is HUGE... pillowy rather than punchy (you may prefer either). I found it to not be particularly hifi though as the bottom end really overpowered the mids and highs. I expect that would be less of an issue with the B1 because it only has one woofer. I sold mine because I wanted a more balanced and vocal midrange and punchier lows.

I think you will find that the tweeter adds very little to your sonic picture. There just isn't very much going on up there with your bass. I like the cabs with a lower crossover and a midrange speaker rather than a tweeter. Back to the B2, when I turned the tweeter all the way from one end of the pot range to the other, I heard very little change. To that end, I'd recommend you add the Genzler bass arrays to your consideration. I have the BA12-3 and find the cab to be very nicely balanced all the way up and down the frequency spectrum. The mids are vocal and present while the highs are very smooth. The lows are big and punchy, but again very balanced with everything else. From your description of what you want, I think the BA10-2 would likely meet your ends quite nicely and falls in your price range.

If you're looking at the Avatar or an LDS, I'd consider going with just two speakers - woofer and mid/up - so I'd look at the Avatar 126 and something similar to that from LDS. On the Avatar, I'd choose the lower crossover and maybe the Faital woofer.

Little Rock likes this.
  4. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    I find Don very responsive, considering how busy he is.

Thank you for your feedback :thumbsup:

5. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    I really appreciate your feedback on the Acme, because so far, the only bad comment i had heard was about the low sensitivity.

6. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I am getting an Acme b1 & a Warwick LWA 1000 and can't wait
    I know this is not much help, I would suggest playing all three if you can and buy what sounds good to you.
    Good luck
    Duke

Little Rock likes this.
  7. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    That is the issue: here in Canada you don't find any of those in stores. Even went to a GC in Vermont last week and did not find anything interesting.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    It appears that Genz Benz is not making the arrays anymore. It doesn't show on their website.

9. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    It's not Genz Benz anymore
    Look up Genzler Amplification
    The arrays and array combos are there
    Duke

revroy and Little Rock like this.
  10. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    IMG_0007.JPG I have 2 Genz Benz rigs
    A Shuttle 6.0 2x10
    Contour 500 2x10
    With a 12t Ext cabinet that goes with either one.

Little Rock likes this.
  11. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    Anybody else?

12. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    From your choices, it seems you don't want to spend much more than $500 or so. You might want to check out the audiokinesis stuff. They look a little strange, but the Hathor 12-3 cab is around $650 and might be worth a look. I've been thinking about either the 1533 cab or the Hathor 212, and the more I look at Duke's price vs performance ability, the less strange they look to me. Still kinda pricey, but much less so than the Genzler array cabs, and the form factor/dimensions of those I just can't get excited about, especially for the price.

Little Rock likes this.
  13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    For bedroom, the B1 might be perfect because it is power hungry so you can push your amp more. And I'm not saying that the B1 is only good for bedroom.

Little Rock likes this.
  14. You'll never know until you play through them. For a bedroom cab, all of them will have something good about them. I'd start with least expensive choice.

jnewmark and Little Rock like this.
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Well @Little Rock, If you fancy a road trip to Toronto I can let you play through my B2 cabinets, I have four.

Little Rock likes this.
  16. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    LDS cabs are absolutely on par with Greenboy/Barefaced; studio monitor-esque clarity, and I was literally asked to turn down when playing a festival stage with a single 15/6 ;)

17. wagdog

wagdog

Mar 20, 2000
    Der Waffle Haus
    Two more for your consideration would be the Phil Jones C4 and the MAS 16. Both get rave reviews from players looking for clear articulate sound.

Little Rock likes this.
  18. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Why not just look at PA's? Here's one that's inexpensive. I've seen good reviews for this brand too. HERE's a smaller version as well.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  19. Admittedly, I don't own one but based on my research here on TB it seems that LDS provides custom options and excellent build quality at a reasonable price. If I were in the market for a 3-way 126 cab I'd consider LDS as a serious contender right up there with the higher priced options like Barefaced and Fearless.

Also, Avatar offers the Kappalite 3012LF as a $70 option in the SB126.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    jnewmark, MDBass and Little Rock like this.
  20. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    There is guy named Chris Cole, that does reviews of cabs on Youtube. One of his reviews on an LDS made me very surprised. The sound was so clear!

SteveHeissner likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021