1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Avatar SB126 question about crossover freq

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluesfanjp, Dec 23, 2016.

1. bluesfanjp

bluesfanjp Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2015
    I'm thinking about ordering an Avatar SB126 and they offer an option of a 2.5Khz of a 1.6Khz crossover. What would be the difference one way or the other? I don't care about the $25 upcharge for the 1.6 so what is the advantage of choosing that over the 2.5?

2. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Imo the answer to your question depends on a number of details that we don't have. I think this is the sort of question Avatar can answer much better than most of us can, unless someone here has experience with both versions. The price difference is probably due to the higher value, and hence more expensive, components required for the lower crossover frequency.

If I had to guess, my guess would be that the 2.5 kHz crossover results in a bit more aggressive upper mids. This guess is based on the fact that the Delta 12LF woofer has a significant peak at 2 kHz. But without knowing a lot of specifics about the crossover itself, I can't say for sure that the 1.6 kHz crossover takes out that peak, nor that the 2.5 kHz crossover doesn't.

3. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    2.5 khz is weird, that's where you might crossover to a tweeter, not to a midrange. Even 1.6 khz is on the high side of crossing from a twelve to a six. Speaking of upgrades, the Delta 12LF isn't anything special. Xmax is only 4.8mm. I'd probably go for the upgrade neo woofer too, but only if I knew what it was. If it's a 2512 that has a 4.9mm xmax, so it won't go any louder. The better 12/6 cabs are using woofers like the 3012LF, which has 9.1mm xmax, so one of them will go almost as loud as two Delta 12LF.