Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Unchain, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I've heard about some people doing this...I'm interested. How did you go about wiring it and cutting the hole? What 6" would be nice? Looking for a bit more mid.

2. I hesitated to post because my experiment with my b212 wasn't exactly successful. I installed 2 Eminence Alpha 6s diagonally (the only available spaces) and used 2 simple 1st order caps for a 3k crossover on the six's. I gained high end but actually "lost" mids due to the comb filtering affects of the driver placement. No doubt the crossover needs upgrading but I honestly don't think the diagonal placement of the 212 cab lends itself to a 2 way configuration.
    I think vertical placement is critical for success.

I believe I am going to make two cabs with the drivers and cross over at 800hz with a 2 way crossover next.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Even with the diagonal positioning you'd be OK adding only one six and using a high order crossover, 18dB at least, so that there was a minimal overlap in the bandwidth of the drivers. By reducing the HF extension of the twelves combing would be greatly reduced.

4. I considered this possibility and it's encouraging to hear about this from someone with your experience. The Eminence drivers would not be loud enough in this scenerio. It seems like the B&C 6 pev-13 would be a good choice for a single midrange driver.

BTW the woofers in my cab are the Eminence Delta 12lf.

5. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    my advice is to jus boost your mids and lower your highs and lows on your EQ

6. I do this now with my 212 cab when I turn my sixes off but I feel you just can't get the same response from a Delta 12lf that you can get from a smaller driver, especially on stage. Besides, where's the fun and learning experience in that? :spit:

The Eminence Alpha 8MR looks very interesting with its closed back and high sensitivity.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You can horn load an Eminence 8MR with a simple short conical horn and get a very respectable response out of it. I do so in my Omni 12 and Omni 15 designs and it runs quite flat from 500 to 2.5kHz with better than 103dB sensitivity. It's more work than just dropping one onto the baffle but the result is worth it. Without the horn it's still better than a 12 but response is pretty rough.