Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Dave Castelo, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i know people still use 56k but please please increase the avatar size limit to something more acceptable...

thanks for listening! :)

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Is that so you can make bigger subliminal messages to those who have great eye-sight or no life?

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    my next "comunist propaghanda" avatar is too big :(

4. I agree make it 10kb or something. My Derek Smalls avatar lost all definition to get it the correct size.

:D:D

Merls

5. Hear, hear! Anything for Derek Smalls.

6. i 6th the idea!

7. Yah....let's do it! Go team!

(waits for ensuing riot)

But seriously, Some more space for an avatar would be great. Just because of animated ones...it's very easy to get over 4k in a hurry. You have to use B&W or a very simple color palate.

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I say 20kb would be great

please!! :)

9. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I'm sorry but I cannot afford to increase the avatar filesize limit at this time. Bandwidth usage is the most costly aspect of running TalkBass, and the forums are responsible for 70% of our bandwidth usage. If a page has 8 avatars on it, 20k each, that's 160k worth of avatars for one page load. Multiply that times about 20,000 "showthread" page loads per day and you're talking about several gigs of bandwidth per day. Browser caching does bring that down a bit, but you can see how it still adds up.

Don't hesitate to email images to me if you need them compressed - a good app like photoshop or fireworks can squeeze any 75 pixel jpg to 4k without sacraficing any quality. Animated GIF's will always be a problem, I'm sorry to say - since each frame of animation is essentially another image.

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    ok Paul, thanks for reading!! :D

11. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    i know im not relevant at the moment at least. But another tip is to simply lower the colour depth. Often at such small sizes colour depths as low as 260 look just fine and quarter file size.

$0.02

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    if they are still picturesi have no problems with the size... (i can compress very well)

but the animated gifs are the problem... but anyways i understand Paul.

13. I think the avatar sizes are great as they are... BTW nice job, Paul! (esp. with mine :D ). Animated GIFs are tedious and distracting after the first two or three times, and their use should be frowned on, and strongly discouraged... ;) In fact perhaps the avatars should go the same way as the post-counters (let's get off the "ego-trips" folks... :eek: )

(just the curmudgeonly view of one Old Curmudgeon... :) )

- Wil

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I can't get a decent sized avatar, how do you guys do it. Like Dave, yours is 75 X 71 and it's an animated gif. I can't get a plain gif to fit the requirements?! It's insane! I've got Photoshop 7.0 and a gif animator and can't do anything to make an image that fits! What are your tricks aside from making it smaller?

15. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I don't get it, I right click on some avatars, like the calvin and hobbes one, and they are twice the allowed limit. How does that happen? I had to downsize my avatar several times to get it small enough!

16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Oh-Oh, I guess that means me.

I can go with one avatar to save on TB overhead, not a problem. Let's not make the assumption that it's an "egotrip" though. It's not true in my case, I'm just a humble guy that enjoys using technology.

17. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas

I want to know how you got your avatar to load. It's way over the size limit, and when I try to load one like that, I am denied.

18. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Those avatars were added by me before the user-upload feature was in place, and before we had the size restrictions. Sorry!