Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jun 18, 2003.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I asked this in a recent Avatar thread but it didn't get a response so I thought I'd create my own topic about it.

I've been hearing a lot of about Avatar and I'm curious to hear what they sound like. I was wondering if anybody had any soundclips or could point me towards a recording that featured one. I'm mainly interested in the 410 but any of the cabs is fine. I know it might be hard to give an accurate soundclip of a cab.

Thank you :)

2. I wish I could here a J-bass into an Ampeg svt3, through an Avatar 410. And yes, I do plan on buying a J-bass one of these days.

3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    to be honet i think thats a pretty bad idea, surley the quality of teh microphone would be very important in this recording?

I can play through my amp which isnt great, but i get good tone from it, then i record into my pc microphone and its sounds horrible.

I wouldnt rely on recordings, also the head/poweramp/pre-amp you are using would have a big effect on the sound from the cab, as would the tuning of the bass and the style you want to play. You would probobly be better making a thread on strangths and weaknesses of avatar cabs

ps. sorry about spelling, im drunk.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's quit surprising coming from someone from Ireland. ;)

Seriously, I agree, but I still think a soundclip would help give me some sort of idea of whereabouts one would sound.

5. this is some solo basswork, and yes i think you can tell an avatar tone. this is just experience from hearing other people with the same cabs.

6. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    So go on, explain to me what you mean. I was only trying to help.

7. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    whoops i may have been i little hostile there, do you mean about being drunk? well man, im 16 and ive just finished school forever, i dont ever have to go back, so i mean, i deserve a few drinks dont ya think?

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    No prob Mic. I was just joking about the drinking bit. (you know, the whole Ireland and how everyone there likes to get drunk stereotype ;) )

Thanks for the soundclips guys. I do dig the tone. Though it's a little bit more flat for my tastes. Is it possible to get more of a defined Jaco/Ed Friedland type of tone out of the cabs? What head kind of head were you using, Deepdeath?