Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by howie, Sep 9, 2005.

1. howie

howie

Aug 29, 2005
    just find out about these recently and was wondering how they sound. i am currently running a4ohm eden 2X10xst with one side of my eden wt800. i was wondering how they compare to other manufacturers and what people thought of the idea of me running the eden 2X10xst and an avatar b210 together with my wt800 for larger gigs. thanks.

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Even with the crossover mod (which improves sound a lot) the Avatar wont compare to your Eden.

I think Avatar lies around the range of lower-end SWR (maybe just a tad better) and Ampeg, but definately beats out everything in its price range. I am interested in what other people think about Avatar relative to other products too.

3. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Use the search button and type in "avatar". You'll find more than you ever wanted to know.

That being said, I just picked up an Avatar 1x15 neo and it's sick, I love these cabinets and I will replace my PV 4x10 with one of the Avatar ones. I love Eminence speakers.

4. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    i am in the same research with avatar 212lf

check my post
    thanks

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    When you say they are lower-end do you mean on how hi-fi they sound or the tone? I always thought Eden was too Hi-Fi for my taste.

6. Just wondering... I'm sorta not familiar w/ crossovers and how they work... can I use the crossover on a single 4ohm B210 Kappa Pro with a GK400RB-IV ?

please explaine.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am talking about the crossover circuit in the cab that controls what frequencies are handled by the speakers vs tweeter. I think what I meant was a little different than the crossover stuff GK uses with GK cabs. Come to think of it, Dave may have improved the crossover somewhat with his newer stuff.

I just meant WorkingMan's series vs Pro (Goliath etc), Backline vs GK, etc.

8. Thanks for the info, but...

I dont think Avatar's are anywhere near Low End Backline's... sorry man. They are awesome cabs. BAcklines are just complete garbage... just My opinion tough.

9. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    word on backline of GK, piece of junk, my personal opinion also :cool:

10. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    avatar sound great for the money. its no eden xlt or xst but id say its a step up from nemesis and swr workingmans. another big advantage is power handling. avatars handle insane amounts of power. some guys on here love their avatar cabs and gig with em regularly. the owner lets you try the cab for 14 days and if youre not happy you get your money back.

11. howie

howie

Aug 29, 2005
    wow, that's a pretty good deal. thanks for all of the responses. maybe i'll look into these if i don't have enough cash for an eden 2x10xlt to go with my 2x10xst.

12. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1

I had an Avatar 410....didn't like it with my 5 string so I sent it back, got a 210 with no questions asked. I will be getting a 212 to go with it next month. Avatar....without a doubt best bang for the buck!!

13. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Which 410 form avatar? Delta, NEO, or PRO?
    Why you did'n like it?

14. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had the NEO...loved the weight, but I didn't care for the relative lack of low end booty-shakin thunder...I had a 15" combo before, and even though it sounded muddy at times, I loved the rich bass tone you can feel when you smack that low B. The 212 will be able to give me the depth of a 15 AND the responsiveness of a 10

15. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Maybe I'm just an equipment snob or something...maybe I just have expensive tastes, but I was totally unimpressed with my Avatar stuff ( 2x10 delta and 4x10 delta...both 4 ohms) They just sounded weak with no oomph behind them. Yeah, they got loud, but were really missing the lows that make your pants flap. I mean, they were cheap, so I guess I shouldn't expect too much. I was kinda hoping they could have come close to my Ampeg 8x10. Seeing as together they had 6-10"s. I was trying to lighten the load a bit. It was an unsuccesful experiment. I'm back using my 8x10...while waiting for my Schroeder 310212 to arrive. I don't want to slam any equipment or anything, but remember that you get what you pay for...and people have a tendancy to over-hype equipment that they just bought. I'm guilty of it too. I've seem used Eden 2x10 cabs on ebay for around the same price as an Avatar cab. Getting a second Eden 2x10 might be the way to go...that way, you'll match sounds. The Eden is a far better cab.

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    There's going to be a lot of apples and oranges comparisons here due to changes in the Avatar cabs recently (better crossovers, different drivers offered -- the Kappa Pro 10"s for example).

Those of you who are making comparisons, it would help if you specified which models you're comparing and whether they have/had the new crossovers in them.

I strongly suspect that I would prefer a new Avatar B410 Kappa Pro to an Eden D-410XLT, but I haven't had the opportunity to compare them yet.

17. I'm not surprised by the lack of low end out of the delta 10's. They aren't designed for standalone use but sound good when matched with a 15 or 12 cab. If i was using only 10's I would go for the Kappa cab.

18. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I did not like my Delta speakers either but I am thinking of picking up a 2x10 Kappa Pro to go with my 2x15 once they offer Tolex on the bass cabs.

19. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    I agree with MuzikMan and Lofreq, Delta speakers are not stand alone. When you go the eminence web site, they have a application chart for speakers, and the delta 10 are for midrange applications. the Delta 12LF is recommended for woofer applications and the Kappa Pro. Also, dave at avatar will tell you that right away when you asked and explain what you want