Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman1185, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Who has tried them? I know Quadzilla got a 4x10 and a 1x15, if I remember right, and he loved them. I was thinking of getting one of both of those and driving them with a Carvin R1000 head. How would this sound? I'm kind new to the whole head/cab thing, so I need help. I play a five string bass, so I need a lot of low end. I realze that the 4x10 isn't going to get really low, so I'll probably use the 15 alone for church and practice.
  2. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm happy with mine. I have the 1-15. I only wish it was ported in front.

I love your' signature. I know I've been watching too much TV with the kids.

Here's one: "RECTANGLES" - Patrick Star

3. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I bought 3 monitor wedges from them and couldnt be happier.

4. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I recently purchased the Avatar B115. I like it alot. Great deal on quality stuff. Go for it. In the rare circumstance that you don't like them, you have 14 days to return starting the day you receive. Good customer relations.

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    i have 2 2x10's. i like them alot. for the price they're great gigging gear. i run an aguilar db359 through the 2 2x10's and haven't found a situation they weren't loud enough for. very focused, also.
  6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Should I even bother to voice my opinion here? In addidtion to all the other good stuff I have said about the Avatars I can tell you that I also just purchased and received a 2x10 from them. Same great quality as my 4x10 and 1x15. THe 2x10 has 2 - Eminence Deltas, 1- Fostex horn (adjustable on the back), same 3/4" plywood contruction, carpet, grill, etc, It only had one port as opposed to 2 ports as found on my 4x10 and 1x15 which makes sense (less speakers, cab volume, etc, = less porting needed). Another great value from them.

I have spent more time with the 4x10 and 1x15 config at band practice and dialed them in more with my new head (Hartke HA7000). The crossover in the head really makes a HUGE difference in what frequencies I am sending to each cab and at what level (gain to each). If you are running more than one cab and they are different from each other (like my 4x10 and 1x15) I REALLY recommend a BI Amp head with a crossover OR separate amps. Sending the same wattage and fequencies to the cabs with my Hartke HA3500 did not sound nearly as good as my Hartke HA7000 crossover. I still can't get over just much much better it sounds. Just an FYI for anyone out there running multi-cab setups utilizing different cab configs...
  7. Thank you all for your input. I'm still wondering how the 15 would sound as a stand alone cab. Also, how well does the 15 handle the lows (sub E string), Gman?
  8. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    How well does it handle the B-string. Real well. But remember, it's a fifteen, and will not be as tight or focused as 10's. Would it WORK as a stand alone ? Yes. Would it sound better with at least two 10's. Yes again.

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    you no that the 210's and the 410's will go lower than the 15? well it is true you would be good with a 410 and a 210.

i e-mailed dave and asked him about the 12 cab.
    he said in a couple of weeks it will be done. and i can buy one of the prototypes!!
    can't wait!!

10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    did he happen to mention a price on the 12?
  11. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I asked Dave @ Avatar about the 1x12 cabs. He said that it would be $199 and similar in appearance to the G112 guitar cab that Avatar currently produces with a 400watt Eminence Kappa 12. The cab will be approximately the same dimensions as the G112 but the speaker will be offset to one side to make room for a tweeter.
  12. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    about the same dimensions as the guitar 12...that means its way too small for the kappa 12 to have any decent bass response. I think its great that avatar puts out products at such great prices, but sometimes i wonder if the company just throws speakers into cabs because it seems about the right size or if they actually do some math. On another thread a guy was sayin that avatar's 210 cab is smaller than it should be and that the cab on the 15 was too big. It'd be nice if avatar'd at least post some reasons on their wepage for the way they design their cabinets. I'm not in any way doggin the company, but some things just don't make sense or add up right.
  13. I realized that, and honestly, If I'm using the 15 alone, it will b because I don't WANT a tight, focused sound. I play in my church's worship band, and I don't really try to cut through very much. I think that for my purposes it'll work well. Another thing, for everyone who's tried one, what would you compare the sound to? Like do Avatars sound like Hartke, Ampeg, ect? Thanks a lot to everyone who has replied.
  14. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think you have absorbed all you can from the forum on Avatar and it is probably time to take your research to the next level: Avatar.

Here is a link to their webpage. There, you will find info for calling/emailing and talking to them directly. They are very good at responding to emails in a timely manner.

Some questions that you may want to ask:
    -How do they design their boxes? Guess, Computer programs, etc.
    -What type of sound were they designing for?

All I can say from at this point is anyone who has played an Avatar has not left any bad reviews. Pretty good record. Only the skeptics bash them. But then again, they have no experience with Avatar. Not very helpful, huh!
  15. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Actually their guitar 1x12 cabinet is 18"x18"x15.5", about the same dimensions as the Aguilar 1x12.
  16. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    that may be true that it is about the same dimension spec as the aguilar cab. I agree with that, but keep in mind different drivers require different dimension cabs for proper tuning. for example, the eminence delta 12 LF requires about a cubic foot less of cab space than the kappa 12 for proper tuning. perhaps the aguilar cab uses a speaker model similar to the delta 12 lf? Just to throw some info out at all of you guys. peace
  17. Quadzilla

AMEN!!!!!!!! :D :D
  18. I just looked at the site, and that stuff I could actually afford some day! :D I might be getting a used head in a month of so that's 150W and it's really old from like early 80's and in great condition for $150. I'll use that with the B115 and a B210, and then someday I'll get a better head. Then maybe I'll add a B112....:oops: . I actually COULD get this stuff, and since I'm poor and this stuff sounds good..WOOHOO!!!
  19. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    hey quadzilla, what impedance are your avatar cabs?
  20. Quadzilla

Mine are 8 ohms each, but you can order them in different impedences....