1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Avatar TB153 vs Gallien-Krueger 410 Neo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryevick, May 29, 2011.

1. Avatar TB153

37 vote(s)
    78.7%
  2. Gallien-Krueger 410 Neo

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  1. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    Which would you prefer?

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The Avatar hands down. By the way, you might want to order one soon because the whole "NEO" thing is going to make these cabs worth a lot more (than you'll be paying) in the not so distant future. I might even go so far as saying it will be a collectable.

3. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    What is Neo going away? Details on your comment please!

4. thudfromafar

thudfromafar Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Collectable? haha.

5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I'm serious Thud.
    Rye, the raw materials needed to build NEO drivers is already going through the roof. You'll still be able to buy them from SOME manufacturers, but others may opt to drop the NEO drivers altogether because of the price difference.

6. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    Well I am thinking I will be ordering the TB153 later this week anyway so if I'm getting in just under the wire that's all the better :D I just have to decide on tolex or line x coating...

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Have you read the thread here on the TB153? It's a mile long. Lots of good reviews. Do a search.

8. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    TB-153. Done.

9. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    I've decided... even though I don't have it just yet and I'm debating on the covering I will get, the Avatar TB153 is now part of my forum signature :D I have now completed my rig and I feel pretty darn good about it :hyper: :bassist:

10. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I haven't heard the GK 410, but I have played others and the TB153. I'd take the 153 over any 410. IME the 153 will outperform even 410s that cost almost double. YMMV

11. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    Tb153 hands down. I had a GK Neo 410 as well as two GK Neo 112's and got rid of everything for the Avatar. I am amazed how great this cab sounds. Do it.

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I just don't understand how a single 15" can produce more output and lower frequencies than 4 10" speakers. Somebody splain it to me please?

13. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Search the "fEarful for dummies thread". It's essentially because this 15" driver is unlike any other, as it has a longer throw (x-max) and can handle much more power. It's combined with a dedicated 6" mid and a crossover. The result is that the 15" can handle the freq it was truly designed for and leave the mids to a smaller driver that disperses them far better and allows for louder, clearer mids as well. The overall package is louder and goes lower than a 410, for real, if you feed it enough power (at least 500 watts).

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The Eminence 3015LF is not your daddy's 15" speaker. When you think of a 115 cab, stop thinking about this one (any 115 with a 3015LF) being anything at all like it.

The 3015LF is a BEAST! It can kick out a lot of volume because it has a very high xmax (think more like a car subwoofer) yet goes up to 800Hz, which means it's only job in a two or three way cab is to handle the low end. You can throw a lot of power at it (and power is cheap these days). Combine it with a 6" mid driver that only has to handle the frequencies above 700Hz, and what you get is a VERY loud cab that will kick any 410's butt, and does so with greater clarity no matter where you stand in relation to the cab.

410's, while having four 10" speakers, do not handle low end as well as you think. There are too many speakers stuffed into too small a box and the result is upper bass/lo-mids being strong...not low end. They also suffer A LOT from VERY poor off axis response meaning while they may sound great standing directly front of it, they sound like crap anywhere else. And that goes for any 410 because the short of it is, 410's are a really poor design (unless the tens were all vertically aligned, which none are).

If it makes you feel any better, Avatar put the 3015LF, the mid and horn into their existing 410 box. ;)

15. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    I'm considering grabbing a TB153. It appears to qualify as a nEarful cab. Would an eventual crossover and 6" driver upgrade elevate it to fEarful status?

16. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    No-the box size and shape are not to fEarful spec. Count me among those who doubt there'd be an audible difference in the real world, however.

17. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Seems to me some folks over at the fEarful threads almost feel the TB153 is an inferior design of this 15/6/1 build. Maybe "inferior" is not the right word, so maybe "not optimum" better describes what some feel.

These are my descriptive words and I've never heard any of these 15/6/1 designed cabs in person so I don't speak from experience just my take from what I've read from many, many posts in these 15/6/1 threads. I just sent a email to Dave @ Avatarspeakers.com on a couple questions I had. I prolly have seen them addressed here but I kinda wanted to hear it from the man himself.

Since I'm too impatient to wait on a custom build, I'm quite close to ordering a TB153, 4 ohm to use with my GB STM-900 and my 5 string basses, P5, Jazz5 others. Not sure if there is a long wait period from Dave as well, so we'll see what he says. :bassist:

18. According to the site, they are in stock:

TB153  BASS CABINET

S

19. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    I hope not... I am ordering mine next weekend :bassist:

20. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    prolly ordering mine mid-week. But I thought a few got theirs carpeted? I could live with carpet to save a few $'s. I don't see that option in Dave's site though.

And I'm thinking 4 ohms to use as a stand alone cab w/STM-900. I'm waiting for Dave's reply to my email so we'll see what he says about wait time, if any. :bassist: