Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bentem, Aug 18, 2003.

1. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    My current rig is a carvin r600, and a avatar 210. I got the cab a few months before i got the amp Its a 4 ohm cab, so im running all 600 watts bridged into it. Just recently, whenever i play, there is a slight crackle coming from the speakers. When i got the cab, the speakers were out of phase, but i fixed that. Also, if i turn the amp up past, maybe 4, all you hear when you play the note is a fart.

all this stuff happens with an active or a passive bass, with the gain all the way down, the graphic eq on or off, etc.

im gonna email dave, i havent had the cab for a year yet, so maybe ill be able to get a new one, or i was thinking of just selling all of it, and starting over, and getting a new amp.

Is there anything else i can do to find out where the problems are coming from? sorry for the long post, thatks in advance.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    What do you mean "wired out of phase"???

Either they were wired in series or in parallel. Odds are, you altered the impedance of the cab, and that's where at least part of your problem lies.
  3. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    I could be all wrong, but when I hear crackle, I think bad cables.
  4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    bad cables....OR..
    you might want to take the cover off the head apart and take everything off one by one inside of the head and spray it with good contact cleaner...

5. In the 210 cabinet, one of the 10's was pushing, the other was pulling. He fixed that.
  6. First, you need to determine if the problem is with the amp or the speakers. Try your amp with another cabinet, or try another amp with your speakers.
    If the problem is with the cabinet, then
    check all of the connections at the speakers. Look for loose connectors or bad solder joints at the terminals. Also check the small flexible wires that go from the speaker terminals to the voice coil. Then check the physical character of the speakers themselves. Make certain there are no rips or tears in either the cones or the surrounds. If all looks good visually, you can press the cones with gentle and even pressure to check if either of the speakers have a deformed voice coil. You shouldn't hear or feel any scraping as you move the cones in and out. One last thing you can try, connect each of the speakers (one at a time) to an amp and listen to them individually. Repair or replace any defective component.
  7. I had something similar happening a while back. I figured since my amp was so old that it was most likely the suspect. I switched cables, cabs, etc... it was still doing it. This brought on an immediate, overwhelming attack of GAS. I figured out how to come up with the funds and decided to buy my dream rig. I went and spent almost $3000. Yes, it was fun. I got all of my shiney new stuff hooked up, plugged in my bass, and guess what..... CRACKLE!

Moral of the story-

Start with the first thing in the signal chain, your BASS. Then check your instrument cable, the amp, speaker cable (s), and finally the cabinet. Follow the signal chain!

My problem turned out to be a $65 fix on my EMG's electronics in my bass. I know that deep down inside I really wanted new gear, but imagine how much of a jackass I felt like when I plugged it all in and it did the same thing. I am very happy now but have learned an important lesson: It's usually something simple, start there.
  8. Wow, buy this guy a beer, for he speaks the truth.:)
  9. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I have a series II Carvin R600 and occasionally I get an annoying static/farting/low output effect which is definitely a defect in the preamp. Try running your bass in the effects return (Power Amp in) input and see if it sounds any different.

If you trace the problem to one or both speakers, Dave would be willing to replace those as you're still under warranty. I doubt he would replace the cab itself because from what you've said, I'm pretty sure there's probably nothing wrong with the cab itself.

Is the CRACKLING coming from the woofers, tweeter, or both?
  10. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    That might be part of my problem:D :mad:

I checked the cable, it seems to be fine.
  11. thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    Does the crackling go away when you turn the tweeter off? I had something similar happen on the tweeter of the 115. I think it died, but I don't really miss it. Started crackling, like it was trying to hoc a lugi and then coughed it up and went quiet.

As for farting - yeah, 600w bridged at 4 - could be farting on low stuff. I don't let my 210 see anything below 100 hz and it stays happy.
  12. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Use a 9 volt battery to double check if speakers are not out of phase. Plug a speaker cord into cab, on the loose end of the cord connect the 9 volt, pos to pos, neg to neg. Both speakers should be pushing out.
  13. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    The speakers are in phase. I usually have the tweeter off, but the crackle went away, or at least quieted down. It started crackling after i got back from vacation, and played it for the first time in a little over a week.
  14. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I had a similar problem tonight as a matter of fact with my avatar 210. My speaker was farting out on lower notes. I kind of panicked and thought that I had blown a speaker or the sound was coming from the tweeter. However, I discovered that the speaker itself was not screwed down completely around the edges. After tightening it, all is well. Check to see if that maybe is the problem too.