1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steelpulz, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    I bought Avatar B212 and B410 within the last 3 months or so. I love em, epsecially the B212. BUT the tweeter can be a little harsh. Can anyone tell me what I can do to get more of the SWRish syrupy smooth kinda highs.

I am running a Yamaha RBX765A through a Samson SX1200 power amp thru a BBE SS Bmax. Thanks for the help.

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Yeah, I don't like Avatar tweeter crossovers either. I just leave the knob under 9 o'clock. It's good because that's all I need anyways.

3. I've actually gotten fairly good results from turning down the highs on my head or my SansAmp and turning the tweeter up a little more. I like a fairly bright sound most of the time, so I don't mind highs, but the tweeter does make fretting noise particullarly harsh at times. Messing around with my EQ definitely helped smooth out the sound, but it took a couple of rehearsals to get it just right. Mine seems to be a little harsher when I'm in small rooms or standing very near the cabinet, but it seems much less so when the speakers have room to "thow" the bass (I have the B212 Delta, by the way).

4. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I went the other way and turned the tweeter down and then turned the highs up some on my head.

5. tbass-chicago

tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The consensus on the Avatar cabs is that the crossover is the problem, allowing too mach of the lower frequencies to pass and distort the tweeter at any resonable level of the tweeter volume knob. This was certainly the case with my B210 NEO.

My solution was to replace the crossover based on a design from TalkBass member LoveThatBass. He used to sell them to, as well, but when I contacted him, he was too busy and had stopped doing it. He told me to contact Avatar, but they told me there was nothing available.

The build was simple, and the difference is dramatic. PM me if anyone was a copy of the schematics or pictures of what I built, and I'll load it on my server somewhere. Forgive the fact that mine, while perfectly functional, is ugly. We have a guy that builds circuit boards for our products here, and I may use him next time I need one.