1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by woody357, Apr 11, 2010.

1. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    How well does the Avatar 112s stand up to the brand name 112s? I want to go two 112s, and I want to know were myt money would be best spent.

2. can't go wrong w/ Avatar. I've had a 212 for a year or so and love it (but am thinking of selling it in favor of a 2 112 set up . . . )

3. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    avatar is a brand name, just not widely distributed. in some circles that limited availability is labeled boutique. in this case they're labeled economical, but still a brand name.

4. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    This is probably the best argument why to try Avatar that I have heard. I have read that the 112 is probably the best cabinet of the different ones, so I’m thinking two 112s to cover most gigs I would do.

5. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Nobody yet? OK, I'll do it...

Check out Low Down Sound. Great prices, not all that expensive, quality parts and absolute excellent construction.

I got 2 15/6.5 and am very happy about it. He (Don Oatman) also does a 12/6.5 that has gotten rave reviews here on TB. Seems like everybody loves them.

6. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    I have been to their site, but they only have a few custom cabinets and none of them have prices so I can get an idea of what they cost.

7. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Yes, I agree it needs a good update. Everything they do is custom. Don Oatman will advise you as to what he knows works best, but he will do anything you ask him to do cabwise. Prices...for a 15/6.5, I paid $549. I have to say that was a fantastic price. I believe the 12/6.5 are the same, even though it costs him more to obtain the 12s than the 15s (weird, but true).

8. G RICH 5

G RICH 5

Dec 19, 2006
    Detroit
    I agree w/ bang for buck ratio (especially used) Have owned--1x12, 2x12, 2x10 and all
    did what I expected.

9. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
  10. I run an avatar neo212. I was planning on adding another 212 (or maybe 410), but honestly, I haven't needed it!

11. Avatar is stinkin awesome!

mybassrig.

12. How do you like the 15" avatar? I was looking for a 2X15 setup, but they don't sell the 15" cab, so I bought the 2X12. I love it, I'm happy with my setup right now. I have plans to buy another sometime soon, and try to score two 1X15's used as another rig.

13. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    I use an Avatar 2x10 + 1x12 setup for my mini rig for over 3 years now and I can honestly say I havent had any need, or want for that matter, to purchase new cabinets.
    I gig alot. I'm in 3 different bands and for 2 of them I use this mini rig with no problems in 3 years. I couldnt be happier with Avatar.

14. burl0029

burl0029 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    St. Paul Park, MN
    I had two Avatar 112s and they were great cabs. Excellent sound and construction. They're kind of big compared to a lot of the other 112s out there. I got sick of carrying them, so I sold them and switched to an Ampeg Portabass 212 (with upgraded speakers). The 212 weighed the same as one of the Avatar 112s.

15. Love the 15. By adjusting my amp's boost it can be full and mellow, or chest thumping machine! It's a great compliment to the 210.

16. The Avatar 112 is good bang for the buck. I owned one for about a year. It had a slightly forward, somewhat aggressive sound and decent low-end IMO/IME. I later auditioned an Aguilar GS112 and for me, there was no comparison. The GS has a huge, pillowy low-end, a sweeter high-end and a somewhat scooped middle in comparison to the Avatar that suited my ears better. This was several years ago, however, and I've heard that the newer Avatar 112s have an improved speaker with greater xmax for better low-end extension. My only real issue with Avatar is that you can't audition them (unless you know someone who has one) and you cannot return them once you've made the purchase, unlike say Carvin, who gives you a 10-day audition period. So you better be sure you want this cab. You can pick them up used and in great condition for much less than retail, so maybe that is the way to go for the ultimate bang-for-your buck.

17. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    Don't forget the price of shipping that takes it up about $90+, but it still not a bad price, but not that much of a savings compared to the GK Neo.

18. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007

Thats what I use. Loud ,Light, and Love EM

19. bluesbass99

bluesbass99

Jun 14, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    All I can say is that you are associated with Avatar speakers (i.e, Dave), you really have to be happy with the glowing, unsolicited endorsements above. I know I have been very happy with my Avatars. In fact, prior to purchasing them, I had a couple of questions and I got a very quick response (even though it was a Sunday) from their owner. In my opinion, Avatar bass speakers are, indeed, the best value going today. They obviously know how to keep costs down and deliver an quality product.

20. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    What kind of lows and punch do you get with this set up?