Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Jan 15, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ok so im looking for a 2x10 and 2x12 setup. quesiton is which is better. i need cabinets that suit all styles (mainly hard/space/prog rock) and are effects friendly. meaning i guess that when i use effects like distortion it doesnt sound like ass. also whats good for just solo bass, i do get a few solo gigs here and there. they need to be sturdy and can hold up against lots of gigging, cause i gig alot. both cabs must be 8 ohm. what are your opinions?

2. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I have 2-Aguilar 112s. I used to have the old style 112 cab from Avatar with rear ports.

The Aggie is deeper and smoother, but that is also comparing it to Avatar's old 112 cab. The new design is better tone I feel. But, the Aggies are $399 each street price. The Avatar CB112 is $189.

Do the Aggies sound twice as good? Not IMO. But, if you want that little extra, that's what you're going to pay. You pay even more for the right to go Epi, Bergi, etc.

Bottom line, the Avatar is a very big bang for the buck, but IMO you can't go wrong with Aggies if you are willing to pay more.

3. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    i'm guessing aguilar is better but don't both brands use eminence speakers?

4. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I'm not sure whether or not they use the same speakers. The Aggies cabs are tuned lower.

Whether or not lower is a plus is up to the individual. Along with, whether or not the extra cost is justifiable.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    cost is an issue but not a big one. and i need something that will handle very low and very high frequencies. also ill need something that handles mean mean amounts of distortion (for the progrock band). but for the solo stuff i need soemthing that cane be super clean and "soft" and smooth. and finally, something that works good at loud and more subtle volumes. the solo gigs i dont need tons of volume, for the rock gigs i do. but i suppose thats amp adjustable.

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    The Avatar is tuned quite a bit higher than the Aguilar, so I think that if you need very low frequency response, the GS112 will be a better choice for you. Especially if you play a 5-string. However, I am rather biased towards Aguilar gear in general. :p

Regarding distortion... I'm not sure what type of distortion sound you're looking to get, but I found that the woofers in my Aguilar GS212 (I turned the tweeter off... distortion + tweeter = not good ;)) could not produce the real high frequencies that I was looking for. It sounded a little too muffled for me. You may like that type of sound though, so it's up to you.

I think what I may end up doing is splitting my signal and sending the distorted signal to a small guitar poweramp/cabinet, and using a volume pedal to control the volume of the distorted channel. Expensive, yes. But after doing a few experiments with one of my old guitar amps, I have confidence that this method will allow me to get my ideal distorted tone. :)

7. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    The GS-series Aguilars are likely more efficient than the Avatars, though that cannot be confirmed since Avatar does not publish efficiency ratings for their cabs. The Aggies tend to be very efficient versus the competition, so a given amplifier will produce more volume. Judging from the raw speaker specs, I would guess the Avatar efficiencies are in the high 90s at best. In general, a 3db difference in efficiency is worth a doubling of amplifier power. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the Aggies love a lot of power, the Avatars need a lot of power.

As mentioned, the Aggies also have a notably deeper frequency response (especially comparing 2x10s), yet seem to have smaller and lighter cabinets (especially the 2x12) than the Avatars.

Also, the Aggies have Speakon inputs and 1/4" inputs, while the Avatars don't have Speakons.

The speakers are not the same. The Avatars have off-the-shelf stamped-basket Emininence Delta LF spekers, while the Aggies have cast-frame (i.e. more expensive but more durable).

The Aggies have a three-year warranty, versus one-year for the Avatars. However, Avatar raw speakers will be cheaper to replace if the need arises.

The Aggies do cost twice as much, but also have a pretty fair resale value. Like Rod B, I also have gone with the GS112 Aguilars over the CB112 Avatars despite the price differential. The size difference of these 1-12 cabs is pretty significant, with the Aggies being very compact.

The Avatars are an outstanding value, however, and Dave the owner is reportedly very customer-focused.

In the end, I never got a chance to listen to the Avatars, but the Aguilars sounded exceptional versus my current expectations.

I have found great Aguilar deals at readcustom.com and bassnw.com. Finding an additional discount off of the typical street price sealed the deal for me.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The eminence 12s that avatar use are 100db/m@1 watt. That's only 2db less than the aguilars.

9. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    As I understand it, the 2004 Avatars have Speakon and 1/4 in. connections.:cool:

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    2db difference is actually fairly substantial, since 3db equals doubling the output. I personally wouldn't use the term "only" here . . .

Without doubt, Avatars are great bang for the buck, but not quite in the same class as the Aguilars. FWIW, I think Aguilar cabs are quite reasonably priced given the high-end quality, definitely cheaper than comparable Eden offerings.

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    3db is barely perceivable, and it doesn't equal double the volume. 10db is double the volume and requires 10x the power.

12. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    ONE db is actually the level that is considered the smallest increment able to be heard...

13. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    I just sold my Avatar 2X12 cabinet. It was well constructed, handled lots of power and sounded pretty good. Some of the music I play demands low rumbly bass lines and the Avatar was not up to the task, so it was back to my Edens. It really depends on the type of music you play, but if you want to shake the room with the B string (or even open E), the Avatar is not the answer.

14. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ok well if aguilar is better on the low end side, can it produce the mids and highs? how does avatar compare on that end?

15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The tweeter in the Aguilar cabs is quite strong, I usually keep mine dialed back to around 11:00 o'clock, and I have tons of high end snap in my tone. That tweeter can be abit too harsh if its turned up, that's for sure. I've yet to see anyone use it turned up more than half way, and lots of people run it turned off altogether.