Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kin Korn Karn, Jun 16, 2002.

1. My favorite cabs are Aguilar. However, even though the prices are great, they're a little bit more $$ than I've got to spend :(

How do the Avatar cabs compare to Aguilar?

I can accept that a $250 4x10 isn't going to sound as good as a $700 cab but I want to know exactly how much difference there is. Avatar doesn't put detailed design and sound specs on their site, which is a bit, ah, worrisome, but nobody seems to have anything bad to say about them.

How about the Avatar 112? Any of you that have it, how's the low end? How is the loudness compared to the GS112? The 112 will be a small gig/practice cab, while the 410 would be for bigger rooms.

Oh, the amp I plan to use with them is an SVT4-PRO (I like headroom).

Thanks!

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I would still go with Aguilar even though you'll pay more. I'm sure they sound ok, but probably won't compare to Aguilar.

3. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    I am considering similar options. I am thinking of either the the Avatar compact 1x15 plus the 1x12 ($422 delivered) or 2- Aguilar 1x12's at around $800. Quite a price differential. In a full band context w/ a drummer and 2 guitars would the quality of the sound be negligible? I'm thinking the 15" in the Avatar stack might even carry the lows better. Power handling would be similiar and is an issue because I have just gotten a Carvin dcm1000 amp and am awaiting a Sansamp RBI rackmount preamp.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You're making a big mistake if you plan on spending twice as much on your amp as your cabinets. I'd rather have great cabinets with a cheaper amp. Cabs have much more to do with the final sound than the amp does.

5. The other side of the argument is that if you don't like your amp's sound, the most perfect cab in the world is only going to reproduce the tone that you don't like more accurately.

Also - the SVT4 is expensive, and cabs don't get much better (IMO of course) than the Aguilar 410, which is just over half the street price of an SVT4 if both are brand new. So the half price thing doesn't necessarily follow, strictly speaking.

I'm playing rock, so perfect fidelity isn't as big a deal to me as it is for a jazz player. I need to be loud and obnoxious :)

Thanks for your input.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey Kin!

nice to see you on the "dark" side... ;)

anyways, lots of guys love their avatars, and its one of the better inexpensive options out there. i'm sure you wont be sorry with them.

7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Myself I think it's more 50/50. I tried out the amps and the cabs at the Ampeg display at the GC, which has a selector box that lets you A/B a whole bunch of Ampeg amps and cabs. My conclusion was the amp coloration (all set flat of course) made more of a difference than the cabs, where the main difference was amount of low end.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've never tried Aguilar cabs, but I own an Avatar B112 and a Compact 115. By itself the B112 is weak it really comes alive on top of the Compact 115. FWIW, the Compact 115 seems weak by itself too but comes alive when used with another one. Go figure....

I bought my Compact 115 from Avatar on eBay and saved a few $$$.