Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sleepgethsemane, Sep 20, 2005.

1. sleepgethsemane

sleepgethsemane

Sep 20, 2005
    Ok here's my dillema. Right now I play a Hartke 3500 w/ a hartke 4x10. And have a Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass(love it)My guitarist plays a Mesa 4x12, also with a fender Aerodyne(not that that matters) but what does matter is that I can't hear my self. Thus I need a new amp. I would like the Fridge sized ampeg 8x10 with the SVT 4 amp. (basically my dream amp) But our drummer is trying to convince me to go avatar. I called Avatar to talk to them about it and decided on.... The SVT 4 amp...

It comes down to either the 8x10 Ampeg or 2 4x10 Kappa Pros. I have never played through an avatar but have never heard a bad review. I have played through the Ampeg stack and loved it. Can anyone give me insight on the difference between the two amps.

I tend to play alot of highs and lows at the same time I.E. 4 diferent octaves at the same time, Chording with tapping, and guitar parts on the bass. Basically I need something that will be able to give a wide range of sound while being heavy and punchy as hell. Deep lows, clear highs, and still able to knock you back from 20 feet away.

I currently have about $1,500 to work with but am willing to spend up to $900 more.

2. I would say go Avatar! You'll get a more midrange punch. Ampeg is a little warmer.

There's almost an endless selection too going with avatar

you can get 2x12 and have a 4x10 on top. (NICE blend!)
    1x15 and 4x10's on top, very common... or whatever you heart desires. 4x10's and 4x10's is a little redundant though.

I'd throw some 12's or 15' in there.

I'd go w/ Avatarhands down for added flexiblity in cabinet choices, and also for their general tone over Ampeg.

Ampeg is good though, but I'de go w/ Avatar.

Unless you want the classic look of an Ampeg 8x10's w/ Ampeg head on top.

(if i'm not mistaken the SVT 4 is only 100 watts, not enough my man)

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    How so?

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I would suggest avatar over the ampeg I think.

I say that because I believe avatar cabs are alot more sensative, which relates to less power gives you more volume.

To help you understand this concept better say I take an ampeg 410he and it is rated at 98db, well if you ran 300 watts into that cab it would be fairly loud. But if you had another cab that was rated at say 105 db like a gallien krueger neo 212 and ran the same 300 watts into the GK you would be louder with the gk.

But then again if you abosolutley love your ampeg tone then I suggest you stick with em. Likewise 2 ampeg 410he cabs will sound different compared to one ampeg 810.

If you do go with avatar I would suggest getting a 212 and a 410 pro, aparently transportation isn't an issue either if you are looking at getting 2 4x10 cabs?

If it sounds good to you then stay with it.

-Rob

5. its just my opinion, thats it.

i would go w/ 2x12's for more sonic coverage then x2 410's

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
  7. i noticed you had the Avatar 210 kappa pro. do you find that to be the punchies cab you have?

8. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    The SVT4 Pro is:

300 Watts X 2 or 900 Watts Bridged Mono @ 8 ohms
    or
    490 Watts X 2 or 1200 Watts Bridged Mono @ 4 ohms

Should be enough for a coffee house gig.

9. i had a 1200 wat bridgd QSC backin the da w an ampeg 410 and 115 and though i was very loud, I honestly had thoughts that I wans't loud enough from my band.

heavy heavy rock and the guitarts were volume knob happy.

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Why even mess around? If you can afford Ampeg, then get that over some Johnny Come Lately brand. At least you know you are using one of the best (almost a standard in fact) and if you don't sound good, then it's your fault.

Avatar is still an evolving design. They just recently changed their X'over even.

I too wanted clear highs and defined notes so I took a compromise in "punch" by picking a Goliath III.

11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    It has some nice growl capability and pretty bumped low mids to it. Slightly less efficient than my other cabs. It is killer using the SWR 1x15 as companion.

The Kappa Pro is less punchy than the Goliath III 4x10 (for slap tones that dont ask for super beefy low mids/lows). For rock I would prefer Kappa 10's over SWR 10's.

The only thing that sounds better than my Powerhouse 4x10, to my ears, is the Powerhouse 1000 :p

12. ricosuave2093

ricosuave2093

Jun 9, 2005
    Oregon
    Avatar is way more bang for your buck. And Dave changed the X-over because he reads these posts and saw the complaints. I dare you to even try to get customer service like that from an over priced Ampeg.

13. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA

I agree. If you really want the Ampegs and the cash isn't a problem go with the Ampeg cabs. At least you will get to hear them before you buy them.

14. sleepgethsemane

sleepgethsemane

Sep 20, 2005
    I talked to Dave before I wrote this and he told me that with the way I play and with what I want the Kappa pro would probobly be the best.

I use very minimal slapping, and I do play with a pic. I know how sinful it is but it gives me a style no one else in my region has ever heard. My guitarist calls be a Ba-tar player. I find it humerous. That is one reason I am being so picky with my amp. I wish I could actually play Avatar before I bought it. That seems to be the only drawback.

Aside from loudness, how is Avatars tone compared to Ampeg.

Also, any other amp considerations if decide to stray away from the SVT4 pro...

and one more question. would it be wrong for me to buy one avatar 4x10 and the SVT 4 and run them with the Hartke 4x10 I have already untill I can afford the other avatar, or would it blow the hartke
    You guys have been a huge help so far.

15. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    with that kind of cash to spend at least check out the schroeder thread to convince you that you need to try one - you could have 2000 watts in (2) 1212 cabs that weigh only 48 #s each and sound better than the peg and avatar combined.
    save your back and get the best!
    yeah, i know that wasn't one of the choices - sorry.

16. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I just got an Ampeg B-4R from a TB member on monday and I took it to practice that night and put it on top of a peavey 4x10 that sits on top of an Avatar 1x15, I'm soon going to replace the peavey with an Avatar 4x10, They do, interestingly enough, fit together width wise perfectly, but the peavey is over an inch deeper.

Anyway, my amp is almost the same as the SVT4-Pro, except I don't have a tube pre, and a small amount less power.

Lot's of boom (with tone) and lots of punch (with not so much tone, because of the peavey speakers), and very clear highs and lows.

Basically, Avatar uses really nice speakers in almost all their cabs, the improved crossovers did make a difference.

I like mine, I wouldn't trade it.

17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    There's an idea.

18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Somebody has a bad case of brand-name snobbery. :spit::rollno:

19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'd go with a Schroeder as well, but to me, Ampegs get farty & muddy the louder they get. That's just my humble opinion.

20. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    LOL! You're like the Big Brute of Behringer Bashers! :smug:

But seriously, if I can afford it, I'll get brand name too. Wouldn't you?