Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Jun 17, 2003.

1. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    how much volume would i lose by going from an ampeg svt 810e w/ an rmx 850, to an avatar 2x10/2x12 w/ an rmx 1450? i'd still run the amp brigded into 4 ohms. i play in two really loud rock bands, and usually the only pa at venues is for vocals. i need to rely on my amp/stage volume to cut/thump. the reason for this possible change is mainly portability, and the ability to take the 2x10 home for practice. but, i'm young, and big, so if it's not going to be nearly as loud, then i'll keep lugging around the 8x10. what are your opinions?

2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Well... the Ampeg has a much larger space, so that helped with creating the large sound. The Avatars have higher rated speakers, so they're capable of producing more RMS wattage of sound. I think the only real way to tell would be to try them out.

Were you going to sell the ampeg to fund the avatars, or were you going to buy the avatars and sell the ampeg later, or keep both?

Dave has a 14 day return policy, so if they didn't work out like you expect, you should be able to return them.

You also could go with an Avatar 4X10 and 1X15 rig. A little bit bigger, but not unmanagable, and it would be about the same surface area as the Ampeg 8X10.
  3. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i think if i do this, i'd want to stay with the 2x10/2x12. i don't know...i could just be being impulsive. and yes...i'd be selling the ampeg to fund the avatars.