Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avatar vs EA cabs - value vs custom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HighFive, Feb 1, 2004.

1. HighFive

HighFive

Jul 27, 2002
    Hi all - <br>I'm selling my current amp and am planning on getting an EA iAmp 800 to replace it. However I'm stuck on whether to get a single cab by Euphonic Audio (the new NL-210) or a pair of Avatar cabs (B210 and B410 most likely). I've heard great things about both; I was going to get the EA but now I'm doubting whether getting a single custom 2x10 is smart when I can get a good 2x10 <i>and</i> 4x10 for less money. I will be gigging with the amp weekly, along with an Eminence electric upright and various fretless and fretted 4-string bass guitars. I play jazz, funk, reggae, modern rock...(pretty much everything) so I need something that will be loud but articulate. All opinions are welcome. :)

-HF

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well, I'd think that would be a pretty hard comparison...
    Are you set on 10's? I'd suggest something along the lines (If you chose Avatar) of a 4x10 and two 1x12's. The 1x12's should be good for upright, and bring them all together for bigger shows. If there's a real small gig, just bring 1 1x12. Or you could just get the 2x12...

3. I can see where you coming from here.

Quality vs. quantity.

Personally... i'd say...
    look into 2 EA 1x12's. That'll give you the most flexibility, while still having a quality rig. Maybe even that 2x10 with a 1x12. I mean... do you REALLY want to ruin your beutiful tone from that awesome EA amp by buying lower quality cabs?

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    How about a 210/212 avatar setup? :bassist:

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    It is your money but I think that the clear tone of the EA will be somewhat lost on Avatar... They are magnificent cabs for very little money! I owned some... They (particularly the tens) just don't have the lowend. You don't want to go putting all that money into an 800 and not get the most out of it. I'd hold off and look into the used market for Accugroove, Epifani, EA, Bergantino, Bag End, or even a PAIR of new 4 ohm Acme B-2's if you're careful. The 1,000 watts of the 800 @ 2 ohms should be enough for most gigs and if not, there is always the DI out...

6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I gig two to three times a month and I use one Avatar B212 and if I need more I bring a B210 cab as well. Avatar cabs have served me well. :)

7. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I own an EA Cxl 112 and a no name 112 cab that I put an eminence speaker into. The no name cab sounds good and does the job but the EA speaker sounds fantastic- a much richer more detailed and focused sound with stronger tighter lows. The two avatar speaker will probably be louder (although EA cabs are very efficient). You need to decide between volume or quality of sound. I would get the EA if I were you unless you need to fill very large rooms without the help of a PA.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My vote would be to go for the EA NL-210. In the long run, I think that you will be happier, and it will save you money (after you buy the Avatar cabs, sell them later at a loss, and then buy the EA cabs). No offense aimed at Avatar cabs. By all accounts, they are great cabs for the money. But I know how my GAS has progressed, and EA (plus a few others) are at the top of the heap. Considering that you are going to spring for the iAMP 800, I'd stick with a cab of similar quality. Of course, the older VL-series EA cabs can be had at a very fair price nowadays, and all they really need to shine is lots of power, which your iAMP 800 will certainly deliver.

Tom.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Speakers are much more important than the amp in terms of the overall tone. Paying 2-3 times as much on the amp as on the speaker cabs is just foolish.

My guess (since you are even considering the Avatars over EA) is that you have heard neither brand in person. You are talking about spending about $2000 here so you want to make sure you will be happy with what you end up with!

10. HighFive

HighFive

Jul 27, 2002
    Thanks to all for the replies! I think that I will probably shell out the extra $$ for the EA NL-210, because I will not be playing in large settings without a PA, and I want the best sound possible for my instruments. On a side note, I don't know if anyone has any experience with this, but I want to try using the this rig for amplifying my acoustic cello as well as my basses. I have used a GK MB150S combo and assorted PA amps to amplify it in the past, with OK results, but I think that the iAmp800 and NL-210 could amplify it much louder with more accuracy. Correct me if my assumption is wrong, but the EA website says that both the iAmp and NL-210 are suitable for a wide range of instruments, and if they are as good and versatile as everyone says, they should do the job. I think I will get an NL-210 to start, and if I need more sound add a CXL112 later.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a location with an EA dealer so I can't try out the iAmp and NL-210, but from what I've heard they are the highest end.

-HF

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    One thing to point out about the iAMP 800. The power amp section is a marvel that puts out tons of power, can handle a 2 ohm load, and does it all without a fan. Oh, and did I mention that it is light weight! All great stuff. Now, the EQ section, though, can be a bit more to handle. With everything set flat, I find it to be very full, but almost with too much low end, and not as sparkly on the high end or a forward and articulate in the mids as I have come accustomed to. Funny thing is, this is exactly what I noticed with regard to the sound of my Whappo, Jr. (another top notch piece of equipment that is designed to be very accurate). So, it may be that "accurate" and "tonally transparent" equipment aren't offering some of the high-mid and high end boost that I have grown accustomed to in other gear (even though I never thought of my other gear as having those qualities). Who knows. But what I do know is, that the EQ on the iAMP 800 took me a while to get familiar with, but just last week I made an EQ breakthrough, and let me tell you, I have my iAMP tone kickin' right now! Bottom line is, that is one powerful EQ section, so take the time to get to know it, and you will be rewarded.

Later, Tom.

12. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I own a CXL112 and I heard the NL210.

If you don't need insane volumes the NL210 or the CXL112 both do the trick. The NL210 sounds just like the CXL112 only better.

The combination of both is really unbelievable.

Other than the fact that the EA just sound great, they are absolutely without problems even is horrible acoustics like churches. They are consistently really good. My Trace Elliot 2103x sounds better is some settings, but in other the coloration of the Trace that makes is sound so good becomes a real problem.
    I play right now my CXL112 driven by a GK 200MB and have the internal speaker of the GK switched off. I need practically no equalizing - set the equipment up and go.

Wolfram

13. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    With no disrespect to Avatar, they are just not in the same league as EA. I've had speakers that weren't the hi-fi/boutique brand and as someone already posted they served me well and they always had something about them that I enjoyed, but I always missed having the EA's around.

Especially if you play upright I would go with EA. I don't think the Avatars would do your upright justice.

14. Well, I own a truck load of cabs, also a CXL112 and an avatar 112. Couldn't resist buying the Avatar, dirt cheap, 500 Watts RMS with Eminence Delta equipped and it sounds excellent. I also own an Avatar 2x12, very good cab, great price, at least comparable with Eden's 4x10 XLT. But, the CXL112 is one of the cleanest sounding cabs ever.

So, if you play rock in a 4 piece band, use one of the avatars, excellent choice and they don't break your wallet.
    But if you play in a 3 piece and you want your bass not only to be heard but also felt (Nirvana comes into my mind), then get a CXL 112, no, get two of them.