Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ADbassman, Jun 10, 2004.

1. I'm considering making the switch from my Hartke VX seires 4 10 over to a Avatar 4 10 because of the much higher power handling, and the optional casters. I believe both units are about the same size, though the Avatar weights about 5 pounds more. What are your opinions about the two cabs and some experience y'all have had with them. Which do you think is better?

Also, does the Avatar cab have a tweeter, if so, does it work better than the Hartkes?

2. I have had an avatar 2x10, and now I have an avatar 4x10. it is an A+ cab. the tweeter is a little noisey though. It can definatly take alot of volume cleanly. I would say deal with the 5 extra pounds and make the switch. :D

3. My vote is for the avatar. The only hartke cabs I would buy would be from the XL series or professional series. Their VX cabs are utter crap - good for the money I guess, but you'll be shoppin' again soon.

4. o yea definitly those hartke vx series are crap the avatar uses eminence speakers which are really great, i would also make the switch over to avatar.

5. I have Hartke and Avatar. Keeping the Avatars. Selling the Hartke.

6. Sounds good, and considering how cheap the avatar cabs really are, I believe I'll sell my hartke and get an avatar. Thanks for the suggestions.

7. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I have an Avatar 2x10 and I always found the tweeter to be noisy no matter what amp I used so I always turned it down. Also the casters aren't anything different than you can run down to Home Depot and buy, and I think you have to install them yourself anyway.

8. How exactly do you turn down the tweeter, is there a knob for it on the cab? Also, are the avatar casters removable?

9. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Avatar horns are adjusted with a rotary attenuator found on the back plate next to the speaker jacks. There are two 1/4" plugs and one speakon jack. I've heard that Dave at Avatar recommends turning it all the way off then adding it back in to taste.

The hiss from the Avatar horn is no different to my ear than the hiss from my SWR or Ampeg horns...exactly as noisy. Horn=hiss, a lesson in life. I suspect some folks may just have the knob cranked up too far.

Casters...dude, don't let casters be an issue in this. Avatar sends them separately and you have to install them yourself if you want them. They cost $9 a set. You can put fixed casters on a Hartke OR an Avatar, but be advised, they will CHANGE your cabinets bass response. It's an acoustic phenomenon that cabinets sitting directly on the ground interact with the floor to increase bass response, whereas cabs lifted up are "isolated" from this interaction. Removable casters give you the most options, but again, this is a project you'll have to do yourself.

In the end, the Avatar is a vastly better value.

10. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Removable casters are a little harder to find. If you don't mind drilling some holes in your cab you can get some of these:

Removable Casters

They work well, I recently put some on my PA cabs.

11. Seems like you'd have to drill all the way up into the cab to get them to fit, would this be a problem? I know the casters aren't that big of a deal as far as deciding which cab I want, but I want something that won't delay my response or anything. Wiether I stick with the hartke, or go to an avatar, I probably will be putting casters on them either way.

12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Only thing I can think of is that you might end up seeing the mount if the cab is bottom ported. Unless you are using an ice fishing auger, 4 small holes through the bottom should make approximately this much difference:

Again, choosing a cabinet because of caster-related considerations is like buying an automobile based on the hood ornament.

13. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    unless you were going to buy a new higher end Hartke, i would go with an Avatar. i've played some really nice Hartke's and they sound awsome. but in your case i might want to go with the Avatar, i hear they have insanely good customer support also :D.

14. Well, now that I've definately decided that I'm going to be replacing my hartke, and that I probably have a job now, I've been thinking of what I'll be replacing it with. While there is always the Avatar option, I've been looking at Acme cabinets too. They look quite nice, and from what I hear, they have massive lows. I'm looking for a 4 10 that operates @ 8 ohms, that would be a good match for a QSC USA 1310 (375ish watts @ 8 ohms stereo, 1310 watts @ 8 ohms mono). I'm also thinking of getting a 2 x 10 to put ontop of it, to either use seperately in one of my bands, or with the 4 x 10 with another band that requires more power. What suggestions do y'all have?

15. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    not sure that power amp could drive much more than one Acme B-4, and it would be better if you could do it at 4 ohms than 8.

Do you play five string? If so, the Acme may make sense for you. Otherwise, it's a bit specialized to be considering as an alternative to "Avatar vs Hartke".

My suggestion: buy a pair of Avatar cabs of any sort, gig with them for a year maybe two, then buy something expensive once you understand your preferences in high end gear.

16. I like that suggestion. I do play a five though, along with a couple 4 strings and I want to get a 7 string eventaully. Your suggestion would probably be the easiest on my wallet and my conscience. Thanks.

17. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I'd go with neither of the above. Dr. Bass baby! :D