Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adrian, Jan 26, 2005.

1. adrian

adrian

Jan 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I am new to this board so please forgive me if this topic has been hashed out in a previous thread (and please point me to the thread).

I am looking for new cabinets to replace my current 2x15 Peavey BW cab. I'm getting rather sick of lugging this cab around to these small pubs! Plus I'm not liking the tone much these days.

I've only played through 4x10's a few times and wasn't overly impressed by the loss of the lows I'm used to with my 15's, so I'm thinking to compromise somewhat with something like a 2x12 and a 2x10 stacked. I plan to get out and play through some combinations of cabs soon (Ags, Epi, Eden, etc.) but got really intriqued with the Avatars (recently discovered via this board) as well as Jorg's cabs. I'm trying to minimize how much I spend without sacrificing much tone/quality.

Here's my bottom line question(s): Are the Avatars really that good? Has anyone A/B'd these with some of the more expensive brands? It seems that the people that own them swear by them, but I don't know what other cabs these people are comparing them to.

If I can convince myself to pick up the Avatars vs. something more expensive, I may also be able to pick up a Dingwall ABII 6 that I recently fell in love with! (which is my real motivation behind trying to save money on cabs)

Thanks! I'm glad I found this board and that it's this active!

Allen

btw...here's the rest of my rig:
    Peavey Sarzo
    Peavey Foundation/T-40/garage-bin frankenbass fretless
    Shure wireless
    Yamaha FX500B proc w/ ART X11 & X15 pedals
    Peavey T-Max Head
    Peavey 2-15 cab with BW 1504 15's paralled to 2 ohms

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Avatars are great bang for the buck, but I don't think anyone would equate them to the "upper" brands of cabinets.

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I love my Avatar 410 Delta and I have never had a problem with it after I turned the horn off.

I tried an Ampeg 410 recently and I got a little creamier lows that I get on my Avatar Delta. The Pro series is suppsed to handle the lows much better though, but I don't know by how much.

4. I unfortunately have very little experience with the items in question, but I will say that Avatar seems to be the best value around. I will be buying some soon. I hope that you get more help in this thread, but let me be the first to point out that there is a search function on this site. It is on the blue bar near the top, and says "search." Searching for "Avatar" should return a number of helpful results. In fact, I seem to remember once seeing an Avatar vs Ampeg thread. Good luck with your decision!

5. skinnypete

skinnypete

Oct 7, 2004
    New York, NY
    I too used to own a 2x15 and when I switched to a 4x10 I felt like there was something lacking. The 2x15 has a tone that you really can't match but having the option of a smaller rig is a big plus.

The Avatar 2x12 sounds great, however the tweeter tends to distort when turned up too loud. I keep mine low and get just the right amount of top end. It is a great full-range cabinet for smaller rooms.

For larger situations and for extra low end I combine the 2x12 with a 1x15.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Avatar offers good value, and plenty of players are very happy with them, though I have not tried them personally. Two other "high value" manufacturers whose products I have tried (and am very impressed with) are Dr. Bass and Low Down Sound.

Jorg's cabs are also in the "high value" category, though you'll spend more to get into a Schroeder cab than you will for the least expensive options from the other three.

In a world where to a certain extent you get what you pay for, you can probably bet that if you go out and listen to a bunch of higher dollar cabs, you can probably find something that you like more than the less expensive cabs. But, with that said, the four makers named above really do make a quality product for the money, and there is a good chance that you make like some of their cabs moreso than some of the higher dollar cabs.

Ultimately, it's all subjective, but if you are on a budget, it certainly makes sense to explore the more affordable options. Buying a cab without hearing it, though, is always a toss of the dice...

Good luck, Tom.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I just took the plunge on a Low Down Sound, Very impressed, a 2 X10 Neo for 549 with B & C Drivers ! Don has some innovative desighns and the 2 X 10 I played in the shop was certantly the equal of an Eden 2 X 10 XLT, and I am an Eden owner (410T) . They have a 3 X 8 that is mind blowing, the only reason I didn't go with it is the impedence matching with the 410 . They do some very innovative stuff with high end components and first quality construction.

8. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I'm also a big fan of Dr. Bass, although some of the configs that Low Down Sound puts out are pretty darn attractive.

9. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I like my Avatars. To get the low end I wanted, I have a 1x15 and a 2x10 stack. I did replace the horn in the 2x10 and the perrless horn I put in is definitely better than the one Avatar uses and it wasn't an expensive mod. I got all the data I needed to do this here on this board.

10. adrian

adrian

Jan 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Wow! Thanks for the great advice! I'll certainly check out Dr. Bass and Low Down Sound before I open the wallet.

I did do a search for Avatar on the board and found some decent info, but nothing really concrete like "I just a/b'd an Avatar 2x10 with an Eden/Epi/SWR/whatever, and the Avatar is just a teeny tiny bit less in the <insert bandwidth range here>." It does sound like everyone playing thru them really likes them though, which is good. I'd stay away if everyone was unloading them because of bad tone or shoddy bracing or something.

I'm really just going to have to take my rig over to Bass Central (it's a CURSE to live 1/2 mile away from that place!!) and do some comparisons there as well as at Guitar Center (another curse - maybe 5 miles away). You guys are right - it's totally subjective and now the GAS is starting to kill me!

Cheers,
    Allen

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That's my kind of curse! Man, Gard would be sucking money out of me like a Kirby if I lived that close!
    </insert>

12. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I have a couple Avatar cabs - the 2x12 and a compact 1x12. Both are great.

I also play Dingwalls - also great.

Buy the Avatar and the Dingwall :D

13. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    a 2x12 is a great choice for a stand-alone cab. As has been mentioned already, Avatars are good but there are other equally good cabs to try as well. I hear the low down sound cabs are great too.

14. I hear the Peerless is a good tradeoff for the Avatar, however let it be known..the problem is not the Avatar horn in as much as a Cheap single capacitor crossover. I made a 4th Order Linkwitz crossover (@3.3khz) and have a beautiful tone now from my Foster horn in my Avatar B115H.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160091

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I think my SB112 from Avatar is great. Nothing wrong with it, and I could not find any deficiencies. Performs great as a stand alone cab. I had always been a 15" or 10" guy, so I was skeptical until I plugged it in.

-Mike

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I will be posting the results of my test later this week. I am going to put an Avatar SB112 up against an Epifani NYC T-112.

I will be playing my MIA active Fender Jazz through a Genz Benz Series 2 amp.

-Mike

17. adrian

adrian

Jan 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Indeed it's tough! Every time I walk in they bring out the quilted maple Dingwall. What's completely cool, though, is the sales tactic is completely no pressure - they let the equipment sell itself and are great at answering questions and such.

This is the way I'm leaning (unless I find good deals on used cabs).

I'm looking forward to your comparison! Thanks also for your post on your SB112 - very useful (being that I'm also only familiar with 15"s and 10"s and have the same skepticism)

Thanks,
    Allen

18. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have the older Avatar CB 112 which I prefer as a stand alone over either of my Bergantinos..the HT and EX 112. The Bergs together sound better..

19. BostonLowGroove

BostonLowGroove

Apr 30, 2003
    Boston
    I have an SB212 which I use as a stand alone cab. I play an active MTD Heir 5 through an Ampeg SVTIIIPro into it. I like my eq's flat. I find that the Avatar adds very little coloration and can handle both "vintage" and "modern" tones. I disconnected the tweeter.

20. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I have the Delta 210 and the SB112. I love both of them and they sound awesome. As a standalone I prefer the 112. More tonal range. It handles the low B better. I hear the new 210's handle it better though. I have played on a variety of cabs from eden to ampeg and these cabs get the job done.