Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rock bassist 81, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Hell yeah!!

120 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. They are ok.

31 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. No way!

11 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. Don't know

73 vote(s)
    31.1%
  1. Are avatar cabs any good? Do they have good tone, are they well made, durable,???:confused:
    I am going to either get 2X10 or 4X10 cab to stack on my 1X15. I have tried a bunch of stuff in music stores, but Avatar's price cougnt my eye. They are made with Eminence speakers which i know are good. I haven't heard much about Avatar except the reviews i read that said they were good for the $$. If you use or have used an avatar cab, plese tell me what you think.

2. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I have a Avatar 2x10 and a Avatar 1x15 and they are really a great deal for the money. The construction of the cabs is good, plywood, with steel handles, not cheap plastic handles like I've seen on some other cabs. I do have a couple of gripes about the contruction though. I think the metal grate could be a little thicker, and I wish he would put the ports on the front rather than the back. Other than that they sound good to me.

GS

3. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    Do all avatar cabs have the option of picknig what OHM's they are i know that the 2x10 has that option but i wasnt sure about the others

4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    The 2x10 and 4x10 can be customized for ohmage, the 15" cabs are all 8 ohms.

rockbassist81, I have an Avatar 2x10 and I like it, it doesn't make the greatest standalone cab for big rooms of course, but overall it does sound good and the construction is good too, and I think it would work very well as something to add to your 15" cab.

5. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    i've never said it before, but i think it's my turn... do a search. you'll find that there is a ton of info and positive feedback on this site. and it's a lot quicker than waiting for a bunch of responses. good luck in the quest for info...

6. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    for the little amount of money I spent on my Avatar 4x10, I was afraid it would be a joke... it's a great cab, great sound and yes the price is a very good deal. No complaints except that my back hurts from hauling it around.

besides...if you get it and you don't like it...you have 2 weeks to send it back and get a refund.:p

7. Don't think twice about getting an Avatar...it is def. worth it. I have a 4x10 and a 1x15. Gives great sound and are powerful. They are very well made and very durable. A 2x10 or 4x10 with a 1x15 is amazing and you won't regret it. You can't beat the price.

8. What he said.

What HE said, too. The correct term is impedance, not "ohmage", BTW. :D

Him too.

And him!

Now, what do I say? I have the B115 and the B210. Great sound, good construction, and excellent speaker components. The owner answers the phone, and Dave really GETS customer service.

It's the best buy in bass cabs out there. Get it. You won't regret it.

9. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    avatar are a great deal on gig worthy cabs. i gig with 2 2x10"s with an aguilar db359 and they handle it well.they're inexpesnive(so when a roadie drops one you don't scream about your eden,bag end or bergentino cab), reliable(i've played 3 hour gigs indoors and out) and very portable. and also, they're customer service is grear(dave's a good guy). i first started using avatar when i lived in maryland now i'm in idaho and bought more. in the studio i still use my swr baby blue combo.

10. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    for all you avatar owners out there, I have to ask... What brand of speaker cabinet have you all used in the past? I'd be curious to hear if a previous eden 410xlt and/or 115xlt owner would think that the avatar 410 or 115 are such great sounding cabs. For someone upgrading from a single 10 12 or 15 combo amp to an avatar 410 + 115, yeah i'm sure that the new setup seems absolutely killer. I wonder about the guy who's played through berg's or eden's or swr's and then settled down with avatar cabs...

A previous Volkswagon owner's Mercedes can easily seem better to him than a previous Ferrari owner's Lexus is to him, respectively.

Just trying to get the subjectivism a little more solidified on the "experienced opinion meter." I hope nobody takes offense.
    Peace

11. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    K Dubbs, i used to use hartke 4x10's and swr 1x15 and swr 2x10's.

12. Do a search on Avatar Cabs, you'll find rave reviews, especially from Quadzilla.

13. I looked at Avatar as a company that sells cabinets for cheap. I needed to upgrade my rig but i didn't have much money at all. So it was the cheapest way to get a good rig. If i had money and i could afford the top of the line, popular names such as eden and swr then i would have gone that route. But i didn't have the money so Avatar was the best option.

My point is if you have the money for the well known names, top of the line equipment...your sure as hell gonna go for it. But if you don't have the money for them, Avatar is the best thing out there for you in my opinion. So if you someone has the money for eden i doubt there gonna want to try an Avatar.

14. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I agree with "Rage"...if I had the money, I may have considered an Eden cab, but it's a considerable difference in cost. I looked at speaker brands/types in the Avatar cabs, the rave reviews about the customer service (specifically Dave), and I took a shot at trying it out. I have been more than surprised at the overall quality and am not going to replace the cab unless it blows up. I played a Fender combo before this--a nice sounding set-up, but it couldn't hang for a larger gig and competing with two guitars.

Money was definately a key factor...but researching and the reviews about Avatar proved to be acurate, so I ended up with a great sounding cab for the $$.

:)

15. Many of us Avatar units have the same perspective. We came for the price, and went back for the value.

I got back into this after playing various Acoustic rigs a while ago. Came back with a small Hartke combo, and decided to build a bigger rig. I may not have OWNED a "Ferrari", but I sure test drove them. I played through a LOT of cabs, A/B/C/D/E comparisons, you name it. I thought most of them were vastly overrated. Some were great -- the Bergantino stuff really impressed me, as did EA -- but the price tag was beyond my reach. (By that I mean my desire to spend that kind of money for what I heard. My income would permit me to buy an Eden, but not a Bergie) I happened upon Avatar via this forum and harmony-central. I figured I could sell it for at least half of it's low price, so I took a shot at the B115. Two days after it arrived, I was happier than a pig in wallow, and I ordered the B210 as well. The two reasons I didn't get the B410 instead were that I now live alone, with no help loading in and out (especially after a gig at 2 AM), and I can stack the B115 and the B210 in my Voyager without removing the third seat.

Maybe I have the wrong attitude, but I always approach my purchases from a value proposition. Since it's MY money I'm spending, I want to get the maximum sound for my dollars. I'm sorry, folks. Boutique equipment doesn't thrill me as much as seeing that couple of thousand bucks in my bank account. Cheap gear used to suck majorly when I was growing up. I laugh my ass off when I see people paying big bucks for Teisco del Rey or Kimberly guitars, because I KNOW they suck. But with the advent of automated routers and ever-tighter production tolerances, it's possible to make basses and guitars for incredibly cheap prices that are more consistent and sound almost as good, if not better, than the Fenders of years ago. Back in the day, for all the now-vintage gear that sounds great, there were quite a few from the same maker that sounded crappy. That inconsistency in production quality was a fact of life.

Now, life is good. I gig regularly on both bass and guitar with gear that sounds really good and doesn't break the bank. DeArmonds? Gibson Faded SG? MIM Strats, Precisions, Jazz? If you PLAY them before you buy them, and go through what we old guys went through to find a decent American Fender product, there are incredible bargains to be found. (I played over 25 MIM Strats before I bought one, but that ONE was magic! $297.00 with gig bag, out the door. Nice to get everyone's ad online and hand it to the store manager to match price when you find The One.) Add eBay to the mix, get lucky with online purchases, and you can have an embarrassment of riches for less cash than ever before.

Thanks to everyone in this forum and harmony-central for turning me on to all the bargains out there. Avatar cabs are one of the best of those bargains. Give me a head with good EQ, and I'll match the sound I get with most rigs I have heard.

16. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    hey,
    just wondering, how long have the avatar using people been using their avatars?

17. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I've only had mine since June.

18. I've had my B210 for a year now, the B115 for six months. They are pushed by a 27 yr old 400w amp, and they rock! As far as reliability, they are hanging with my SWR, and Peavey equipment just fine. Will it kick a Megaliath 8x10's butt, no, but it's less than 1/8th the price! And it sounds pretty strong. If money is totaly inconsequential, buy Bergi's or EA. But if you want the most sound per $ buy Avatar,

John

19. i ordered a B410 this weekend. it should be here thursday. i did a bunch of searches here and on harmony central and emailed and talked with dave. i've owned ampeg, swr and nemesis cabs, and after reading many of the reviews & speaking with dave i was ready to try it out. low price + 2 week guarantee + good reveiws = good chance at a great cab for little $$$.. it's not breaking the bank by any means, and according to most people it's a decent cab.

the only thing i see missing from a high powered cab is speakons, but for the cost of getting them installed here locally it's really not a big deal. if the 4x10 is what it's supposed to be i'm gonna grab a 2x10 as well:D

20. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I really like my B210 and B115. Sure, if I could have afforded boutique stuff I may have gone that route. But I'm currently just playing classic rock and the Avatars are great. They look good, sound very tight, and can handle a good amount of volume. For my needs, they're spot on. I'd rather put any extra cash (as if there was such a thing in my life) into a bass.