Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steriogenesis, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Good cheap sound and good quality

38 vote(s)
  2. Too cheap, and bad quality

5 vote(s)
  1. Ok, I'm looking to find a cheap replacement for an already cheap 15" cabinet under my nice shiny 410 (just something to keep up with the 5 string low B, doesnt have to be great.)...
    Is avatar a good inexpensive company (comparable to crate). Whats the story? Whats with the inexpensive prices? Will their 15" cabinet be a good cheap replacement?

Any information or thoughts would be very apprechiated.
  2. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    look down to your right. see the "search" box? type avatar and be amazed.
  3. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    well actually its not down to the right, ha, go back to the amp forum and then its down on the right, and then again, be amazed.

doh ;0
  4. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    yeah..don't take this wrong, like as if we don't want to help...but when you search for "Avatar", 44 pages of threads come up. There is a TON of info that will answer every possible Avatar cab question.
    good luck with it!:)
  5. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
  6. Do they make an 8x10?
  7. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    No, but I know that a lot of people have asked him to build one.
  8. Who's "him"?
  9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I think Dave Avatar's real name is Dave Noss...

I bought some Fostex tweeters from him and he didn't peel the shipping label off of the box that came from his supplier.:)

Since 8x10s are too big to ship via UPS, I'd be surprised if Avatar came out with one. Not that that's a deal killer but Dave is so efficient in selling/shipping what he offers now (not to mention extremely busy) that messing with big 8x10s might be more than they want to deal with.

An example of his efficiency...I called Dave and placed an order for a couple of Fostex tweeters. We also discussed prices on Delta 12LFs. Although the price was great, I decided to give it some thought. I called back literally 5 minutes later to order the Deltas and another tweeter and found out that my original order was already packed and ready for UPS. I expressed my surprise that he did it that quickly. He said that he had about 100 emails to deal with and if he didn't do it right then, he'd forget...simply amazing.
  10. :D :D :D
  11. i understand that i can look around here and see people talking about them but what im really wondering isnt the fact that people use them...

what are the actual negatives/positives about them? why are they inexpensive? is it worth more just getting something used or more expensive?
  12. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Dave makes the enclosures and buys a ton of speakers to get a discount. Also, he only ships in North America, I think, so that's how he keeps costs low. Also, he doesn't advertise.
  13. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    :meh: I think that's going a little far ;)
  14. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Judgement Call:
    Avatar typically uses mid-quality Eminence speakers. Eminences makes speakers across a wide range and most Avatar boxes use things in the middle of the pack. I believe he does that because the market he is selling to wants the prices low. That being said, lots of manufacturers use Eminence drivers and probably not the fanciest they can find either.

Judgement Call:
    My B112 uses a simple capacitor as a crossover; this normally would have a 6db slope. I imagine most cabinets have a fancier crossover. That being said, if the crossover points and speakers are chosen carefully to complement each other, the 6db crossover could actually sound better than the fancy model I suspect.

Unless it's changed, the speakers are attached with wood screws (so I heard, I never pulled mine out). From my experience it's really a pain to use T-Nuts when building a box (like Peavey does) but it is IMO a better way to do business. It would probably add $20 to the price of the box and I suspect Avatar figures their customers want it this way.

Avatar does not put Speakons on the back. I had to do my own and it took and hour and $5 or so.

I'd say his construction is as good as anything out there and better than some that use particle board or OSB.

His boxes are very well packed for shipping; the chance of it arriving damaged are about zero.

When you call/email, you are talking to the guy that can fix your problem. Avatar's customer service is excellent.

What makes Avatar an attractive choice to me is that "what you see is what you get" and that's all you pay for. You are only paying $50-100 for the assembly labor; the rest is just what the components cost.

There isn't a lot of marketing hype hiding the product. If you want to know how it performs you can evaluate it on the basis of published specs from Eminence.
  15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Well put ESP-LTD.

The speakers are held in with screws...drywall screws actually. At first this bothered me but he does use eight of them per speaker so I'm not too worried. FWIW, Ampeg uses wood screws to hold their drivers in.

The grilles are not as stout as the expanded metal that SWR used on their cabs in the past, and they're a flat piece without folded edges for rigidity.

Cosmetically, the one thing that I'd change if I ever had to recover my cabinets is to take a router to the edges and round them over. I'm sure that this step is skipped to save cost. I'm just used to the look of a nice rounded edge on cabinets (and thats how I build 'em) but it's not a big deal but the corner protectors don't fit as tightly as I'd like to see.

Dave's overhead is very low...he doesn't advertise and gets his exposure on eBay and all over TalkBass and Harmony Central. He works in a small building with his son and a helper and the cabinets are built by another company that he also owns. Avatar does the final assembly, packing and shipping.

IMO his packing is artful in its simplicity. Cardboard spacers and a custom made box...simple, cheap and effective. I've purchased four cabinets from him plus a couple Delta 12LFs and a bunch of Fostex tweeters and have had absolutely zero shipping damage.

Another thing that I appreciate is that the product line is constantly evolving...
  16. "Avatar does not put Speakons on the back."

they do now...I emailed Dave a bout a week ago and asked him and he said that the B410's,B115/h's have speakon now.
  17. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I think I will continue to use avatar cabs until I step up to the real high end stuff, for all the reasons mentioned here. :)