Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eldiablolvr, Apr 8, 2003.

1. eldiablolvr

eldiablolvr

Apr 8, 2003
    Hey whats up everyone. i have been playing bass for about a year or so and was wondering about avatar cabs. are they too good to be true. the b410 is only $339. What kinda head would i use though? I have never seen a head rated at 1400 watts rms. As you can tell i don't understand amps at all. i don't really want the b410 if the head is a ton of money, i am on a limit. what about the b212? I would love any help at all!!

2. Just because your cab can handle 1400 watts RMS doesn't mean that you have to buy a head that puts that much out.

Do a search, tons of stuff on Avatar.

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Just because a cabinet is rated to be able to handle 1400 watts doesn't mean it requires 1400 watts; that's just the maximum. You could drive that cab with 10 watts if you wanted, you just wouldn't get much volume.

As far as heads that put out 1400 watts, an SVT4 comes close, but typically you'd have to be using a pre-amp + power amp setup to get that kind of wattage in a single channel.

Lotsa good reviews of the Avatar stuff here, do a search. Most say great bang for the buck, although general opinion is they are a bit thin in the low end compared to more expensive stuff (Eden, SWR, etc.).

4. eldiablolvr

eldiablolvr

Apr 8, 2003
    thanks for the info. i am still deciding what i want that will fit in my budget.