Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tash, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Could an afatar 210 Pro and a 212SB take the full output of a bridged SVT4, assuming both were 8 ohms.

My math says yes, just double checking.

2. SVT-4 1200 watts Bridged at 8 ohms

B210 cab 700 watts
    B212 cab 1000 watts
    My math says oh yeah!

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    That's what I figured, but I was adding up the 210 Pro, which is rated to 1000 watts....

That 2000 total, 400 more than the theoretical PEAK of an SVT4 Pro.

4. By the way...if you find the AVT is pumping too much wattage for you....pipe some down my way.
    :cool:

5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Actually, it's not the total you need to consider.....

If the head is connected to two 8-ohm cabs, each one will receive half of the (1200W) power..... so, EACH cab must be able to handle 600W. They can, so you're good.

Usually cabs can go somewhat above their rated power handling, as long as the amp is not distorting. But that's another issue.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yes, they'll definately be fine.

Also, if your in a situation where you dont want/need both cabs, you could use the B212 to and run at 8ohms bridged and be fine as well.

7. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Gotta remember that just because an amp says it's a 1000 watt amp for example...it's not throwing out 1000 watts constantly. It's capable of hitting 1000 in extreme surges when the volume is all the way up. I'd be more worried about if it's putting out a clean 1000 watts...it's distorted power that'll ruin speakers quickly.

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm well aware of this. The SVT4 is rated to 1600 watts peak, 1200 watts RMS. To me that means you could theoretically damage a cab that could only handle 1200 watts by running full tilt: the occasional peaks up to 1600 would probably make something go booom.

Actually I don't even have an SVT4, I've always disliked them because to me tube = dirty. Now I've learned a lot more about how sound works and realize that tubes are only one part of what can make something sound dirty.

I'm sort of kicking around the idea of getting one though. I had wanted a GK1001RB-II for my next amp, but my band is going through some shakeups in our sound and I'm finding some of the features of the SVT more attractive (particularly the footswitchable graphic EQ and onboard compressor). I tried out a GK 700RB-II with a single 410 cab at a recent practice and found the tone not cutting it. It wasn't a matter of volume (we play quiet), but texture. In a metal band with only one guitarist I need a lot of body in my sound to fill in the space. There is also a big difference between the tone I want during most of the song and the tone I want during a solo. Most of the time I run flat with a slight mid boost to help float above the guitar, when a lead or break comes in and the guitarist switches from rifs to single notes I need to go for more of a scooped mid with full bottom end sound to fill in the space.

Couldn't do that with the GK...might be able to do it with the SVT. I'm think about getting the avatars then "renting" each head for a couple weeks to see how it works, gotta love 30 day returns online :)

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    NOPE, the peak output of the 4PRO (or any amplifier) is actually double the largest "rms" power. That is the power at the "peak" of the waveform, based on a sinewave.

That is a MINIMUM of 2400W for the SVT4PRO. Actually it is more.

Since the "short term rms power" of the SVT4PRO (NOT "peak power") is rated 1600W, the ACTUAL "peak" power output is then really 3200W.

As for speaker damage? The peak power is capable of pushing a voice coil out of the gap, or other such damage. But aside from that, you need only worry about "continuous average power" (AKA "rms power").

Even then, unless you are lightning-fingered, you are very unlikely to average more than half or even a third of the amp power output-wise.

More than that would be from feedback, or other such condition which you wouldn't (we hope) let go on for long.

Nothing is immune, however. I have heard of speakers rated at 3 times the amp output being cooked by a tube amp.

The significance of that is that a tube amp CANNOT have a fault that causes DC output. DC is normally the only way a lower powered amp can cook a speaker with significantly higher power handling