Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sutton, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Hey all,
    I just got my Avatar 212 today and its amazing. I've read alot of reviews on it, and I heard a few where people were highly suggesting to not turn the tweeter up all the way. I just wanted to know if this was truely an issue, or if it was just a few people talking out of there asses.

I'm the type to do it just because people advised me not to, but I dont want to risk damage by doing so, so if this a true problem of just a myth? Thanks
  2. RedVette

Jan 1, 2005
    Medford, OR
    I don't think anyone had a problem with the tweeter other than some thought the tweeter to be "hissy" when set at a high level. I have run mine (on the 212) at various levels, I prefer the sound with my particular bass and amp when the tweeter is set at a fairly low level, but I wouldn't be worried about setting it high if I wanted a brighter sound.
  3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm planning on buying a stack of 1X12s soon (can't wait!).

As far as I remember reading, it was often said that you won't NEED to turn the tweeters up past 10% or 20% or whatever, and I've read where a few players said that they run the tweeters off because the sound they like is all taken care of by the cones, and I've read warnings about ALL tweeters being sensitive to clipped waves, and super-boosted highs... I can't recall reading about specific problems with Avatars.

I'm planning on either running tweeterless, or adding components (L-C-R, I suppose) to do a sharp cut on the high-highs out of the horns. I know the horns offer much more even dispersion than the cones at freqs above 2KHz or 3KHz, but at the same time I don't think I'm interested in frequencies much above 6 or 8KHz.

I really wonder why more bassist don't use big'ol horns on top of their stacks, so that even if they didn't like sparkly-highs, they could crossover way down at a frequency that's before the cones start beaming - like run the cones up to only 1K or 1.5K; then they could still chop the highs (even if this cut is built into the crossover) at 4K or 5K if they wanted, for a more old-school sound WITH good PA-like dispersion. I suppose you could pick the X-over freq to be just at the point that the dispersion of the increasingly-beamy cone-drivers just matches the dispersion of the horn... hmm...

I've been thinking about this stuff quite a bit lately. Oh-yeah... What was this thread about?

4. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Well before I burnt mine out being a 'tard I never had mine on at all. Too much hiss with an amp that has a hissing problem as it is. Just try it out and if you don't like it don't use it.
  5. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    ok, guys, thanks for your help
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I've never owned an Avatar cab, but rehearsed with a B210 for several months that was left in our practice space. I found the tweeter extremely harsh, and it clicked when turned up high, even at fairly low overall volume. I either left it at about 10% on, or completely off. I developed a strong dislike of that tweeter, but otherwise the cab sounded great.

The tweeters in my GK Neo112 and SWR Goliath III 4x10 are smoother (GK the best), but I turn those pretty low too.
  7. I built a 4th Order Linkwitz-Riley crossover for my Avatar's horn.
    I get hardly any hiss and little distortion since. It really smoothed the horn out.
  8. Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    I have a 2x10 and a 1x12. The tweeter it too much for my taste. I cut the one on the 1x12 OFF and give the 2x10 around 10%. Any higher is overkill IMO...

9. Here's a thread LoveThatBass started a while about the Avatar horn:
    With your new crossover how do you think this cab compares to SWR, Ampeg, GK, etc?
  10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI

Now, uhh... You weren't planning on keeping that scematic Diagram a secret now, were you?

Forever greatful if you'd cut-loose with it,

(edit) Hey, wait-a-sec... Is that an active crossover?
    (edit again..) Oh - I see. Thanks, Man.
  11. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

Actually there IS a problem if you turn the horn off (or nearly off) and hit the cab with lots of power (1500+ watts). You see, the attenuator is taking the abuse with the horn off and you run the risk of frying the attenuator (it gets real hot). I agree with others that the horn and/or crossover is not the most musical in that cab. You might want to try replacing the crossover or both that and the horn. There are threads on here about how to.
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I put the tweeter on my 212 very low. Its not off, but it is quite low. It hisses/buzzes if you turn it up so i have it so that the hiss is very slight.
  13. Mine hissed and buzzed at first too.
    Decent Crossover fixed that for me. :hyper:
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep, I second this. I've started putting 4th order crossovers on all my cabs and the difference is well worth it. The more of the low stuff you keep away from any horn the better. The Avatar stock crosover is ony 6dB per octave, far to gentle for a dynamic instrument like bass. At 24dB per octave, you can cross over at a much lower frequency (Say 3K instead of the current 6K) so it sounds better, and it greatly reduces the chance of damaging the horn. And it's not an expensive mod either................
  15. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

16. I am using Proto Boards to make mine for now. I have the capability design circuit boards but it is cost prohibitive unless I did multiple units.
  17. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Do have a link to which Proto Boards? Vendor? I'm interested in making some crossovers for another application, but every data point is appreciated. I never get around to fabricating dedicated circuit boards, slacker that I am.
  18. http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&ha...00-062-4565&Ntt=*58971000624565*&N=0&crc=true

Has .062" dia. holes making it easier to mount the coils.

Here is a less expensive Option that I am going to check out: