Avator 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RawB103, Apr 11, 2005.

1. RawB103

Mar 24, 2005
    After hearing about all the glory of Avator cabs in terms of power and tone at great cost I think I may be sold. However I am just wondering if a 2x10 is enough to really get the lows on a 5 stringer of if I would really need 12"s or a 15". I would prefer a 2x10 (or maybe I'll buy two) since I'm living in an apartment next year and dragging a huge cabinent up and down all the stairs would get old after a while. I noticed on their website they have different 2x10 models, the more expensive ones having "more low-end frequency."

Also any preference on heads that go well with Avatar cabs? How about a GK 400 RB-IV?
  2. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    definately get the 210. The 210 NEO is light and sounds great. I dont think a 112 will cover the lows that well. I would get a 115neo, or 2(112;s).

oh BTW, its avat A r
  3. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have an Avatar 2x10 and I think it is weak on the low B. Fortunately, I've also got an Avatar 1x15 so I can really drive the low B hard. I'm not comfortable with the 2x10 as a stand alone cabinet in a gigging situation.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Firstly, it's spelled Avatar, not Avator. I own an Avatar 2x10 and a 1x12 and paired together sounds monster! I previously owned a 1x15 but got rid of it due to the weight! I wouldn't recommend the 2x10 alone with a 5 string bass. Pair it with another cab of any config. Another 2x10, a 1x12, a 2x12 or a 1x15.
  5. I have a B210 Delta, and I won't use it alone on a gig, even with a 4-stringer. It just doesn't have enough bottom. I also have a 112 (and another on the way), which I do use by itself. It does a fine job, with 4s or 5s. The 12 has a deeper low end, and an all-around sweeter tone, to my ears.
  6. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    if you play a 5 string i wouldnt suggest a 2x10 cab by itself. what kind of tone are you after? mid cut? deep lows?
  7. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    A big question on selecting between a 1x12 and a 1x15 to suppliment a 2x10 cab -

Will your bass rig provide the house sound when you play out, or will it server mostly as a personal monitro for practice and at live gigs?

As someone who has also served as a sound tech in the past, if you are planning to utilize your rig as the sound source for filling the house mix I heartily recommend the 1x12 over the 1x15 for a couple of reasons:

* the 1x12 will give you tons of lows when filling the house, yet it won't overload the room with sub frequencies (below 50Hz) that tend to muddy the bottom end of the mix

* the 1x12 will give you all of the volume you need for that low B string running with an active pre-amp. I play 5's and 6's, utilize my amp to provide the majority of volume for the house mix in venues of 200-300 seats, and have no difficulties with low notes at high volumes.

According to my wife, the 1x12 has all of the rumble of a 1x15 in the house. She notes that the 1x15 left all of the low notes undefined and boomy, even when I cut a significant amount of low eq on my preamp. The 1x12 has all the rumble, but each note is defined - even in faster passages, and especially when thumbing slapped notes.

End results of all this: the sound guy loves my tone and clarity in the bottom end, and always runs the bass high and upfront in the mix (i.e. keeps giving me the "turn it up more" sign while I'm setting my room volume) :hyper:

YMMV, of course ...

8. RawB103

Mar 24, 2005
    Hmm sounds like I might need to add a 12" cab to get those low notes really sounding out. Thanks guys, and also for catching my spelling on "Avatar"
  9. :cool: I've got to agree with the other comments here about 2x10 running alone. I personally don't like them either, alone with a 4 or a 5-string. They just don't seem to have enough low-end booty. A good 4x10 will cut it, but I've never found a 2x10 that could do it alone.

However, a 2x10 with a 1x15 or a 2x12 is a great combo. I've tried it with my 1x12 and while it's better than solo, it's still not as good to my ears as the 1x15 or 2x12. Of course, as always, YMMV! Good luck!
  10. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    One of these would be fine for most medium/small gigs as long as you have a power amp with lots of clean power. I am a very picky guy when it comes to gear and I play a pair of these. I like them better than some 2x10's that cost $700 a piece. These only cost $229. Get two and you'll have alot of punch and cut. If your a five stringer, maybe get a 2x10 and a 1x12. Im more of a rock 4 stringer and don't use a sub-woofer destroying low end that turns into mush in 90% of situations in the real world.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    ...how 'bout a 410 NEO? I'm thinking of going the 6x10 route and play a 5....
  12. buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I play an Eden WT-800 through an Avatar B210 and B112. It is a great rig. I only play 4 string, but I had trouble with the 15 getting muddy with my P-bass too. I would highly recommend this combination.
  13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Please compare and contrast the Dr Bass 212 compared to your avatar 210/112 rig? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Dr Bass cab. I'm hoping it will prove to be a small giant killer that will work well for both electric and upright...
  14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Or yeah, even a 4x10 if you don't mind lugging heavy cabs! 4x10's are really nice and sound monster but I usually don't like to recommend bigger and heavier cabs. I think today's focus is to get monster sounds out of smaller (and more portable) rigs.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Exactly my thought!!! I'm contemplating a 2x10 AND a 4x10 for versatility. Use the 4x10 as my main, and then add the 2x10 if I'm in a larger venue.
  16. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'm real happy with my 212 Av...it fills up the room nicely, it has bottom as deep as Loch Ness, and is quick like 10s. If I were to get another cabinet to augment it, I think I'd go with either another 212, or the 210 Neo for weight.
  17. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    get a B212 to stick under your 210.. loads of tone.. the 12s push the lows like a 15 but with more punch.... just push them with lots of clean power... my Mackie 1400 pushes 500 Watts into each 4 ohm cab.

and your rig will look like mine!! beefy!

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, I was thinking about that. I'm getting a GrooveBass 1200...1200 watts into each 4 ohm cab, but I like the following:

1. The 410 NEO has a greater frequency response than the 212 (40Hz - 3.5kHz vs. 45Hz - 3kHz). The can reproduce tones that are higher and lower than the 212.

2. The 410 NEO is lighter

3. The 410 NEO has a longer X-max (5.2mm vs. 4.8mm), to push more air

4. I just like the symmetrical look of 6 10" cones in an array.

Your rig DOES look good, tho!!