Average bass weight

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Listen, May 27, 2002.

1. Listen

May 19, 2002
    I've been doing a study on the average bass weight and I found out that I cannot conduct experiments very well. How much does your bass weigh?:confused:
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know exactly how much my basses weigh, but I think that the most accurate measurement can be obtained in the Basses forum.
  3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I would have to say 9 Lbs

but heck I could be wrong ;)
  4. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Under that of your typical Spector or Warwick.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ranging from 3.5 kg (1990 Ibanez Soundgear 1000E) to 4.5 kg (Mr. Bassman No Sweat).
  6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  7. Fender P-bass = 9 pounds
    Fender Jazz bass = 12 pounds (it's heavy.)
  8. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    About 11 lbs, but it is a 6 string

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    My Warrior weighs 10lbs. I had a '77 stingray for a while that weighed 14.5lbs! Can you guess why I don't have it anymore!;)
  10. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Mine are 8-9lb (Zon is 9lb and Salas is 8lb)

I think JT's basses throw the average off soo much!! Damn you JT! :mad: :p :D :rolleyes:
  11. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Well, I sure as hell aren't going to buy the Brice V2 5 String!:eek: That thing was 30Lbs.:eek:
  12. Johnson basses are uber heavy... My (fender j-bass) 5 string is almost as light as a johnson j-bass 4 string...
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

30 lbs, huh? Hard to believe. This one doesn't even weight that much.

14. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I think you will find the average between 7 and 10lbs... my ray weighs in at approx 10lbs...Some basses i have played have only weighed about 3... then again i've played some warwicks that weigh a ton also..
  15. Listen

May 19, 2002

copy/paste that, you'll see a nice looking bass, but apparentely is 30Lbs:(

EDIT: don't click that link, just copy the whole text, sorry about that!:rolleyes:
  16. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    No. Not 30 pounds. Either a misprint or an up-rounded shipping weight. I don't think even a solid cocobolo bass would weigh 30 pounds. :)
  17. Listen

May 19, 2002
  18. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    my GT-7 weighs about 13... that throws it off a bit.

actually, jt's basses arent THAT far off, his heaviest is the doubleneck at 25, then the fretless 8 at 16, his 'blood' bass (neck through 7 string, with the blood top) at 15, but i think all the rest are between 9 and 13. his two fretless basses, the one with the maple top and the one with the flame tounge, are about 9 or 10, he says.