Average bassplayer's height

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Jonathan C, Jun 9, 2021.

1. < 5'

3 vote(s)
    0.4%
  2. 5'

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 5' 1"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 5' 2"

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  5. 5' 3"

4 vote(s)
    0.5%
  6. 5' 4"

6 vote(s)
    0.8%
  7. 5' 5"

14 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. 5' 6"

26 vote(s)
    3.3%
  9. 5' 7"

41 vote(s)
    5.2%
  10. 5' 8"

60 vote(s)
    7.7%
  11. 5' 9"

54 vote(s)
    6.9%
  12. 5' 10"

104 vote(s)
    13.3%
  13. 5' 11"

84 vote(s)
    10.7%
  14. 6'

105 vote(s)
    13.4%
  15. 6' 1"

92 vote(s)
    11.8%
  16. 6' 2"

79 vote(s)
    10.1%
  17. 6' 3"

39 vote(s)
    5.0%
  18. 6' 4"

30 vote(s)
    3.8%
  19. 6' 5"

21 vote(s)
    2.7%
  20. > 6' 5"

18 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Where did I actually say male TB'ers only? It was not poll by the way. I was aware of that it is all genders - but my gut feel is not many female responded. I was mainly responding to the assumption that TBer's are taller than the US male population. You always have to account for standard deviation and the data says it is the same as the US census data for US male, which one could infer.

1- The sample consists of predominantly US male
    2- If the poll respondents are representative of the US male to female ratio which I believe is 49/51 , then we have tall female bassists and the men may be shorter. than most US men.

Traditionally height census's are always broken up by gender. I still have to find census data that does not break it down.

I am not a statistics guy but you are required/expected to know these concepts and the calculations involved in my day to day work and is pervasive in our company.

2. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I'm afraid height is not the kind of growth we will achieve with that strategy.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  3. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    S'ok, more to love! :hyper:

LBS-bass likes this.
  4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    In the part where i quoted you :)

Relax, I'm not offended. I used to work with a bunch of statisticians and they're always picking on implicit biases in various surveys. You're saying 5'10 is the average male height, but male height is not the same average we're polling here. Average male height doesn't map to this survey.

But let's not take the thing this seriously :)

5. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I'm pretty sure there's plenty here already :roflmao:

6. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    So did you vote <5"?
    I am only 5'8", but when I lived in Mexico City for a spell, I'd sometimes take the subway and would be surprised to find myself the tallest person on the platform or train. Quite a change in perspective. Having walked both sides I can confirm that the tall really do have a better :meh:

7. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I voted 5'7" but it's really always been a hair more than 5'6" and a half, so I round up. Pretty average, really. Being tall would have its advantages but also its drawbacks; a friend of mine is so tall that it's impossible for him to not stand out in a crowd. He's very handy when I need something I can't reach, though.

8. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I am of course being glib, as I've known a couple tall guys we suffered from it, as they were awkward and self-conscious types. And as you say, being tall makes you stand out. So being tall only exacerbated their self-consciousness.

At 5'7" you are nowhere near the shortest respondent to this poll as there are two under 5 ft. As far as gender goes you are a bit of an outlier at your height as well. The average American woman is 5'4"
    I proposee we give you the nickname Stretch

9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I was the shortest when I voted, but it seems that's no longer the case :) "Stretch" works when it come to what I have to do with my hands while I'm playing that monstrous Fender 5-string.

10. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Even more impressive is that you can wrestle with an operate that big axe while still holding it down on the mic.
    Likewise admire your dad and I can see kindergarten playing a Thunderbird while singing, and shimmying too! I am a comparative clod

LBS-bass likes this.
  11. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Somehow I doubt that.

12. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    My signature live move is tripping over a monitor :laugh:

LBS-bass likes this.
  13. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Been there, done that! I don't think I ever did a full face plant on stage, but I've come close. My bass did once, though. I also have a chipped tooth from drunks staggering into my mic stand. Uh, I think we're off topic now :)

14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Dee Dee Ramone's pro tip was to always sing with one foot planted on the base of the mic stand to prevent drunks knocking the mic into your mouth.

As for onstage snafus, I remember one set in Portland where not a minute into the first song I broke a guitar string at almost precisely the same moment the other guitarist suffered strap lock failure and dropped his instrument. It almost seemed as if we had coordinated it. And it was probably the high point of the set.

LBS-bass likes this.
  15. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    5'5" and 135 pounds so not only am I short but I'm slim. I stopped growing at 12 and am basically the same size in my 50's. The only difference is I'm balding now. None of is the least bit fun in case you were wondering...

16. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i'm a 5' 3.5" female bass player, and i did vote in the poll.

i also never got any taller after 12. i wonder how common that is...

17. 5’ 10”.

as of now 5’10” and 6” are within 1 vote but 5’ 11” is 20 people fewer; seems odd to me.

18. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    They're lying?

19. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Who knows. My whole family is short so I was doomed...

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021