Average Material Costs

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Zon Bass, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I was just wondering what everyone out there usually puts into making a bass.

Basically I want to know how much you usually put into wood and other building materials, and how much you usually put into hardware.

So far my first bass has been a lot more expensive than I expected, but I have met some great people, and I don’t think that I will be disappointed.
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Once you've been at it and you get a sales tax ID, you start getting OEM deals with manufacturers and wholesalers. That makes the biggest difference in the bottom line. Discounts on parts can be from 25%-75% off retail.

Wood is another story. I've found less expensive, better quality places since I first started, but the difference is not really significant.
  3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i spent $850 on materials for a bass. that includes wood,electronics, and hardware.
  4. I've put around 210€ in wood (wenge, red beech, curly birch and ash) , 55€ in hardware, and 25€ for the pickup. Not that bad...
  5. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I have built two so far, and I think that I spent 350-450 on each of them. That is primarilly materials, but includes a few toys.