Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Average Material Costs

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Zon Bass, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I was just wondering what everyone out there usually puts into making a bass.

Basically I want to know how much you usually put into wood and other building materials, and how much you usually put into hardware.

So far my first bass has been a lot more expensive than I expected, but I have met some great people, and I don’t think that I will be disappointed.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Once you've been at it and you get a sales tax ID, you start getting OEM deals with manufacturers and wholesalers. That makes the biggest difference in the bottom line. Discounts on parts can be from 25%-75% off retail.

Wood is another story. I've found less expensive, better quality places since I first started, but the difference is not really significant.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i spent $850 on materials for a bass. that includes wood,electronics, and hardware.

4. I've put around 210€ in wood (wenge, red beech, curly birch and ash) , 55€ in hardware, and 25€ for the pickup. Not that bad...

5. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I have built two so far, and I think that I spent 350-450 on each of them. That is primarilly materials, but includes a few toys.