1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Average price for shipping a bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fearlessdane, Feb 22, 2008.

1. fearlessdane

fearlessdane

Aug 29, 2005
    Portland, OR. Los Angeles, CA.
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg, Fender, Ernie Ball
    I've had no experience with shipping a bass, so I was wondering what the average price usually is for shipping a 5 stringer (Standard delivery). Also if anyone knew which company typically has the best rates, I would appreciate it. Thanks guys.

2. velocraig

velocraig

Nov 1, 2003
    NE Georgia
    I have had the best luck w/ FedEx Ground.
    No damages...ever. 100% delivery on time.
    Quick delivery (usually a day quicker than UPS ground, IME) and about 20% less $ than UPS or USPS.
    My shipping costs have been in the $15-17 for a bass in a gig bag/boxed to $20-23 in a case/boxed.

3. rufus mangler

rufus mangler

Oct 10, 2007
  4. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Most likely Fed Ex or UPS. I have had issues with both, but that's life. Ship it yourselve via home pickup (see their web sites to create a free account). Avoid going to a UPS Store or similar 3rd party shipper as they tack on fees just to touch an item. Providing you can pack it well yourself, you'll save money shipping from your home.

5. rduckwor

rduckwor Nashville Cat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    L.A. - Lower Alabama
    FedEx Ground - $25.00 for a bass shipped in a case. Much less for gig bag shipments. Avoid the Brown Truck at all costs.

6. tmw

tmw Gold Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    +1. I just shipped a Fender 4 string w/gig bag for $17 (weighed 12 lbs. IIRC) and Fender 5-string in Gator GL Case for $27 (weighed 19 lbs.)

7. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    My average cardboard box for a bass measures 48"x20"x8" and weighs approximately 30lbs with a a hard case and 22lbs without a hard case. I do some pretty hard core packaging jobs, though. Of course, the weights and dimensions will be different with so many models of basses and cases. This information should help you in the UPS calculator for shipping prices.

8. + 1 for FEDEX Ground!!

9. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I had to ship my Dean to Florida for repair work. UPS Ground was the cheapest and edged out FedEx Ground by a couple of dollars. USPS was the most expensive by almost $40!

10. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    If you open up an account with FedEx (at no charge) then you get a discount on shipping as well. It's well worth it.

11. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    for dirt cheap shipping, go to DHL, i've found them to be cheapest, by far

12. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    because i live near the Fbass shop i always shipped basses through them. it cost me a lil bit more, but the guitars were boxed correctly, well padded, and insured for more than 10 grand i believe.

well worth the money. Fbass ships so many guitars that it was hassel free for me imho

13. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    +1000.

UPS destroys everything, everytime, and usually is late. And The UPS Stores are franchises, so they can charge whatever they want. They usually will charge up to $2.00 per hundred just on insurance.

Fedex ground is a lot cheaper, a lot safer and generally on time. And Kinko's/Fedex stores and not franchises, so the prices are the same everywhere.

14. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Also, cost of the bass (and what you want to insure it for) will be a huge price determinate. A $3000 bass will cost sigfinicantly more for insurance than a $500 bass

15. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, but doesn't FedEx only insure instruments up to $100? Or have they gone back to full insurance?

16. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    +1 - I setup a business account at FedEx.com and you even get more of a discount when you print your own labels. Then just drop the box off at any FedEx Kinkos or schedule a free pickup at your convenience.

Typically delivery time is no more than three days coast to coast, much faster than UPS and way cheaper.

I have no idea but I insured a bass for $250 (an acoustic electric bass) a few months back and noone asked me any questions at FedEx. Again I printed my own labels so maybe that was why.

17. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    Shipment quota depends heavily on distance and it is also important to know the behaviour of your local carier. Therefore I disaggree with many comments above, except that DHL really is the cheapest :)

here where I live, Fedex delivery person leaves the packages at the front door and I don't feel comfortable with that. I had no problems with UPS and I used them about 100+ shipments and I had every problem with Fedex in 3-4 shipments. UPS shipping priced is a little higher (lets say 3%), so it is not really an issue.

USPS also has a good service, but does not have a good reputation. People like to blame the good'ol USPS based on superficial stuff, biases and prejudgements. For example:

From MI to FL, 50x20x8, 17 pounds

USPS Parcel Post (about4-5 days)=> around $20
    USPS Priority Mail (2-3 days)=> around $35
    UPS Ground (about 4 days)=> around $45
    Fedex Ground (about 4 days)=> around $45

From MI to MN (a shorter distance):

USPS Parcel => $20
    USPS Priority => $17
    UPS Ground => $30
    Fedex Ground => $30

For the reliablity, I shipped more than 600 packages via USPS, no single one got lost. 3 of them returned back to me "undelivered" eventhough the address was correct and rarely the delivery time stretches.

Ps. Pack the instruments well. a gig bag in a guitar box won't cut it and you will be taking a chance. You NEED to make sure it won't move freely inside the box and will sustain normal handling. Large bubblewraps are good, peanuts are ok, newspapers are not! It is also important to release the string tension.

18. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    There is no average price because it depends several factors like...

Weight of box
    Shipping destination
    Insurances
    Shipping company

19. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA

Actually, FedEx has its problems too. I had Sonar shipped from Cakewalk a while back. It made it to the first FedEx hub (an hour from it's point of origin) and then disappeared never to be found again. I had to hound FedEx for 3 days before they would admit to me and Cakewalk they lost it. I have had speaker stands shipped via FedEx and they have arrived trashed. Never had any of those kind of experiences with UPS. I suppose a lot of it is luck of the draw.

At least as far as smaller packages are concerned, I have always had the best experience and pricing with USPS.

Craig

20. I paid $60 to ship UPS ground with insurance apparently, according to everyone's responses, I GOT RIPPED OFF!