1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Average SAT Score

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Feb 10, 2004.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Don't. I've always felt that most people lie about their SAT scores.

2. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area

You're amusing. I'll let you win. ;)

I got the same score in 9th grade and 11th grade, i think it was an 1180.

3. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    what's amusing about that ? :meh:
    just because i am so much cleverer than some people doesn't mean those less intellectually equipped get to mock me.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I got a 2061

I win.

5. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    slip of the finger.....i got 2065

luh-hooooser.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah me too, I actually got 206`

;)

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Damn, 2060 out of 1600!

I bow down to your supreme British intelelect.

Peace
    Nick

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, that plus what Natrab said.

The only reason I was able to do as good as I was is because Im a good test taker. The test should be re-designed so that it actualy test your ability to think instead of your ability to take tests.

Peace
    Nick

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Damn! I thought it was testing my ability to fill in bubbles.

brad cook

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you guys think the SAT is pointless wait 'til you take the GRE. Even worse than the SAT if you ask me.

11. I'm not so sure about that. I think those SAT classes have pretty solid evidence that they raise scores?

Anyway, I don't really understand the point of studying for an SAT and artificially raising your score. If you have to cheat the system to meet the requirements of some place, that seems to imply to me that you're going to have a real tough time doing the actual work there.

Of course, maybe I'm just bitter I had to take a mandatory "SAT prep" class in high school that was a complete waste of time.

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Cheating the system or not, money is money (many scholarships are based off of SAT/ACT scores).

Another 2 points on my ACT and I would've gotten an extra $4,000/yr.

13. Good point.

14. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

Jun 1, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    word man.

if i were two spots higher in my class i would get another 7500 a year! i meet every requirement (4.0 gpa, 1200 + on sat) except the stupid top 5% of class one. grrrrrrrr

15. Markdezy

Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    Atlanta
    Sadly for me, and maybe some others here, they are changing the format and the new "perfect" score will be 2400.

16. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

Jun 1, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    yup, you guys also get to do the writing section. sounds fun :D

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I assume that your SAT score determines what College (University) you can attend and what course you can do?

Can you give me some examples of what score is required to do, for example:

Law at Harvard or Yale?

and a few other general courses? I just want to see what its like in the states vs Aus.

18. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    no mocking here, I thought it was a joke, because as nickman points out below, the highest SAT score possible is a 1600.

19. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Got a 1340 my first time and I'm taking it again in March and probably once more if I'm not happy.

ACT scores come out this week and so I'm really looking forward to those.

20. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    SAT scores are only part of what determines what college you get into. Most colleges in the states will ask for your grades, SAT scores, an essay or two, and maybe some recommendations, among other things. Most places don't have set standards for admission, so if you do poorly on the SAT but have good grades, essays, etc then you still have a shot of getting accepted. Different universities have different admissions policies, so you'd have to check with the specific institution.

As far as law school, that comes after undergraduate study, and SAT scores don't mean anything. SAT scores usually only matter for undergraduate admissions. In the US there is a test called the LSAT that is taken as an undergraduate, which I guess is analagous to the SAT but for law school.