1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Average SAT Score

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They've been toying with doing away or doing a complete overhaul on the SAT, since (as previously stated) it's actually kind of irrelevant as to a students actual performance and intelligence. Not just a score tweak. Phasing in an essay portion, score tweak, different questions, possibly nixing the analogy section (which is a good section of the english portion), and changing the overall structure of the test.

2. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    I only took it once, with a massive hangover, and got a 1400. I wish I had studied or taken it multiple times, who knows how well I would have done?

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Negatory on the LSAT being analogous to the SAT.

LSAT = Law School Admission Test

SAT = Scholastic Admission Test

Two totally different tests in style and scoring.

Mark, as Ham stated, SAT scores alone are not the determining factor.

I just took a glance at Harvard's admissions requirements (got curious myself ;) ), and they require you to take either the SAT or the ACT, but you also have to take at least 3 sections of the SAT II (which is a more in depth version of the SAT that also includes science).

This is directly from the Harvard website:

[​IMG] Are there minimum required SAT I, ACT, or SAT II scores?

Harvard does not have clearly defined, required minimum scores; however, the majority of students admitted to the College represent a range of scores from roughly 600 to 800 on each section of the SAT I as well as on the SAT II Subject Tests. We regard test results as helpful indicators of academic ability and achievement when considered thoughtfully among many other factors.

There is more interesting reading about admissions at Harvard's website.

This is way off topic, but I've always wondered about their criteria.....

4. iplaybass

iplaybass

Feb 13, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I know 5 or 6 kids who got 1600's on their SAT's. Some of them are brilliant. Some aren't. The score really doesn't say a lot past a point. I think that if you really are brilliant, you will probably get a high SAT score. Does that mean you could find your way home if somebody dropped you off in a sketchy part of town? Nope. Granted, the kids here I know who really do strike me as brilliant got SAT's in the 1500's for the most part. The test does test your ability to take a test, but dumb kids getting very high scores without studying doesn't really happen, in my experience at Rice. I got a 1520. Puts me supposedly in the top half here, but I don't believe it one bit! I feel like a fool in most of my engineering classes, especially compared to some people. Don't worry about your scores, they aren't everything (and given the prep courses floating around now, most colleges take them with a grain of salt).
    To Mark, I know a senior here who has been accepted to Harvard Law. Her scores were in the 1500's I believe. Acceptance to a good law school is more dependant on the reccomendations you get in undergrad studies.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I took it once, I guess it was in 1976. I got 680 verbal and 780 math, for a total of 1460.

I didn't study for it; I figured the best thing would be to chill out and rely on what I'd learned. Everybody I knew who studied hard just got very tense and nervous and didn't handle the test well.

6. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    1) $$$$
    2) $$$$
    3) $$$$

Everyone's money is green, Ty.

7. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    SATs are pointless.

I got a 1060 on my SATs and now I've had a 4.0 gpa the last 3 semesters at college.

go freaking figure :rolleyes:

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im exactly the same. I dont like to study much because I see how it makes people tense up.

I just relax and depend on what I know. Its worked fine for me so far.

Peace
    Nick

9. I got a 1500 on the SAT when I took it two years ago (I'm a frosh at UF now). Although it comes into play in college admissions, it's not as big a deal as one would think. Two of my friends got 1600's and neither got into their top choice schools. One had to "settle" for Yale and the other for Dartmouth. haha Mostly, they look for involvement...student government, medical/science research, leading MAO or Science club, those kinds of things. As you all have said, anyone can study for the SAT, but the really driven ones are the ones who get all A's and still bother to do cancer research. All in all, though, you're starting all over once you get to college.

-Nick Park

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    FWIW

In Australia you go from primary school (years 1-6) to high school (years 7-12) and then to University (college). You generally start university when you are 18, but it varies a little bit depending on what state you live in and whether you take a year off or not.

In your final year of high school you are assessed and your grades in that year are used (in most states) to determine your ENTER score which is a ranked score from 0 - 99.95 in increments of 0.05.

The Universities then use the ENTER score as a "cut off" for certain courses, for example the top law schools have a cut off of around 99.50 - which means your score must be higher than that to get an offer.

You generally cannot "pay" to get a place in University although some now offer a slightly reduced ENTER score for "full fee paying" students (ie might drop one or two points). The fees are highly subsidized by the government and the most expensive courses are $5500 per year which you can pay or defer and have deducted from your income tax once you start earning an income above $20k per year.

We do not have "pre-med" or "pre-law" courses here - you just go straight into the course you want to do. Eg I have a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Arts which I did concurrently.

11. well i haven't taken it yet, im just a freshman, but my bro has, and he's a super nerd (drives a ford aerostar, plays text based games, does html, math, wheres same clothes seven days strate etc....) but anyway i think he got a 1125 or something :meh: thats only a 70% and he got into a veterinarian school :bag:

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hey Nick...

Im at UF too! I shot a PM your way.

Send one back my way and maybe we could meet up.

Peace
    Nick