AVG Free vs. Panda

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Anyone got experience with Panda?

Long story short, I took my (well, really my parents I guess LOL) desktop tower in to get it dusted and tuned up (properly defraged, etc) and the guy asked me what anti-virus I had installed to which I truthfully answered "AVG"

Suddenly this dood goes into what I figure is "upsell mode" and starts on about how he's "probably gonna find 100 viruses on there". Am I valid in figuring this guy is just trying to upsell me?

Apparently Panda will cost 50$ a year.

Oh, and I also have Sunbelt as my firewall (looking on the Panda site, it includes a firewall)

http://www.pandasecurity.com/canada-eng/homeusers/solutions/antivirus/

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think Avira Antivirus is the best free one out right now but I previously used AVG and I would doubt that you're going to find "100 viruses on there". If You're going to pay for one then go for Eset.

bc

3. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    I've used AVG for a year and have yet to find a virus on my computer.

4. Falkner

Falkner

Mar 5, 2008
    I use AVG and have no problems. Take it for what it's worth, but I tried a demo of Panda a few years ago and it completely hosed my system. I've never seen anything like that before. :meh:

5. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    avast!

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Avast used to be good but now it's a bulked up resource hog. I switched from Avast! to Avira.

bc

7. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    i vote for avast.

8. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    AVG is ok - not the best, but as good as you're going to get for free.

If you want some extra reassurance, run http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ once a month or so. It's a free online scanner from the Trend Micro folks. (Avoid the upsell and just click through to get the free stuff).

9. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I've used AVG quite successfully on lot's of PC's that I 'support'. It has it's irritations, but no failures yet.

There's a new Panda Cloud version that I've been running on an old P2. I wouldn't say I use the PC enough for it to be a good test, but the overhead is quite low. Looks promising.

10. irishryno

irishryno

Jan 22, 2008
    Alabama
    I use panda and switched to it when i was unhappy with avg free's performance. i have had no problem with panda and have avoided some scary situations. I would recomend panda with out any hesitation. 50 for a year of complete peace of mind is well worth it.

11. Falkner

Falkner

Mar 5, 2008
    +1

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I have AVG on my windows and my linux machines. it works good.

I did pay for it though.

13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Care to share details of the hosing?

14. Falkner

Falkner

Mar 5, 2008
    After installing and rebooting, it took my PC 15 minutes to start up each time, it bluescreened at the drop of the hat, ran too slow to do anything (over a minute to open the start menu, etc.) and I spent the rest of the evening trying to remove every last bit of that program. After I finally managed to uninstall it, everything was fine.

15. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Damn :eek:

16. Me too.

Switched from Norton to the free version of AVG a long time ago, then eventually bought the AVG Internet Security package. Half the price of Norton and works much better, IMO.

17. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    These look like standard symptoms of far too little RAM. Norton is a resource-hog that will cause this as well.

I've been running Avira and ZoneAlarm free firewall for years. No bugs, no hassles.

18. Falkner

Falkner

Mar 5, 2008
    I would hope that 2 gigs was more than enough for AV software ;)

I really have no idea what happened there. That said, I never really wanted to try it again.

19. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    100 viruses? haha... i seriously doubt that. im pretty sure youd notice.

ive used panda and norton, but not avg, so i cant weigh in on that. i was not impressed with either.

what i have been using for quite some time is eset nod32. its the best ive used, and my more tech savvy friends swear by it. i know its also a yearly subscription thing, but do not know exactly what that cost is.

heres my number one tip i learned a while back when i got a really really nasty virus whilst messing around with network settings and temporarily disabling nod32:

(assuming youre using a pc) make one administrative user account, and then another one with restricted permissions that you use 99% of the time. you have to switch to admin to install applications and a couple of other things, but if you get a virus and it has administrative privileges, its not a good thing. i learned a lot from that mess.

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I just do all* my web stuff in a VM. Previous to a couple of weeks ago when my ESX server bit the dust, I would run it there. Until I get that fixed (read: when I get un-lazy and actually decide to look into the problem), I'm running sandboxie.

* = exceptions are web-dev and work related items, that's it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021