Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avishai Cohen, "At Home" and kicking arse

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Wow.

Been listening to Avishai's newest record and the kid keeps flooring me. Compositionally I think it's the best thing yet, and it's so amazing how he keeps developing his arranging without losing the essense of his voice as a composer and player. Oh yeah, and somehow his playing keeps getting better too!

You rarely here Avishai praised for his electric playing, but I'd be remiss if I didn't call Avi out as one of the most unique and talented electric voices out there. His tone is wicked and all his blows are fierce. Simple Melody (on Lyla) is probably the best "bass composition" I've heard since Continuum. He's phenomenal, and I'm shocked how he stays under the radar with electric players. Forget Matt Garrison. I'll take Avishai anyday. He's got a hell of alot more going on musically...and that's an understatement. I guess Avishai might be a little too low tech for this crowd, though.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    That album has been in my player for the last couple weeks.
    I agree about his electric playing, he has his own voice :bassist:

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I agree about Avishai and "forgetting" about Matt Garrison! :)

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think it's a matter of form over fashion. From Matt I see very cool basses and hear lots of talk about scales and alternative techniques. From Avishai I don't see any endorsements or BP articles (one about 10 years ago), but I hear this *music*...that should be MUSIC.

5. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I saw him play with Chick Corea on BET Jazz. I was really impressed. Great tone, chops, and ideas. Really original stuff. And very tight.

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yup, it's about the music with him.

I have nearly (except for this album, grr!... picking up this evening) everything that I can find with Avishai on it... Aside from his vamp-band, Chick's groups and all of his solo albums... y'all need to check out his work with Danilo Perez and on the Plunge with Bob Moses .

During the Atlanta Jazz fest in 2000 (he was playing with Chick), he ended up sitting in at a straight-ahead jazz jam at Churchill Grounds (tuesday nights with Jacques Lesure)... Unknown to most in the room, he completely left everyone in the room with their jaws on the ground.

He is one of the great bassists of our time, IMO.