1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

avishai cohen

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by IconBasser, Oct 5, 2008.

1. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
  2. Will Yager

Will Yager Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    He is definitely a badass. There's a great video on YouTube of him playing with Chick and Jeff Ballard.

3. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    I'll have to check it out!

4. brivello

brivello

Jun 27, 2008
    Philadelphia
    avishai cohen rules.

5. They have several (if not all) his solo albums on emusic.

6. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    funny that this thread comes back today, i´m going to his concert tonight :)

7. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    Avishai is an awesome player - very, very creative and original, and a good composer (and pianist), too. I first caught him playing in Chick's Origin band.

He's not to be confused with the jazz trumpeter of the same name.

8. Jake Reber

Jake Reber

Apr 2, 2008
    Louisville
    I'm actually listening to Colors, which I got today from the library. I just finished transcribing his solo on Remembering (At Home) today and am playing it for my jury. His stuff with Chick is really great. Chick always adapts so effortlessly to whom he is playing with, and I was really blown away by his work with Avishai.

Did you know there's a trumpeter named Avishai Cohen too? I hear he's really good but haven't heard a recording. I worked at the Jazz Factory in Louisville, KY and manage to miss Avishai more than a couple times, foolishly

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I like his new album. Lots of really strong unison lines with the piano. There's some gorgeous arco playing on it too.

10. MDEbass

MDEbass

Dec 15, 2008
    Houston
    avishai is my favorite

i discovered him last spring and got his new album "gently disturbed" this summer, and have not stopped listening to it since. Everyone of his albums are great and definately worth checking out.

By the way...he has started to tour with his new project, the "Eastern Unit." I'm seeing them in May in Houston. Anyone seen/heard them yet?