1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Avoid the 'Hood Ap

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  2. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Hmmm. This makes someone wonder just what neighborhood does Tammy Chin live in.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Awesome, great idea for an app. When visiting a new city, I like to go find the hood since that is where the good food is at.

-Mike

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Or booking hotels in a strange city. My parents booked a hotel in Paris for example that, on the map, looks like a really convenient area, but in reality its an area where teenagers go to party all night and with lots of low brow bars etc. Its not a "hood" and not dangerous, but its not the kind of area you'd want to stay in if you know better. Apps that told you where a good area to stay and a bad area to stay isn't the worst idea in the world. I would have throught that peopel of any race would want to avoid staying in / travelling through high crime / dodgy areas.

5. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    If the Apps intention is to alert a user that they are entering a high crime area I don't see what the problem is.

6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    it's really a "Weed Finder" in disguise and i think it's a brilliant idea! :bag:

7. There are problems associated with abandoning an area to high crime as well. It shows a tacit approval of everything that goes on within that region.

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    It sounds like it's linked to crime statistics which I would think would make it legit. I could see his point if the app were called "Avoid Darkies" or some such.

I can't think of very many people of any race that wouldn't like to avoid turning down the wrong street in an unfamiliar area.

See: "Avenida . . . assecinos,"

I get the impression that this app would advise me to avoid certain parts of Douglasville, GA, due to the crime, even though this area is predominantly white (and more than a little meth-y).

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    IME anything immediately off the interstate in a major metropolitan area is not someplace you wanna go for a walk.

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I can't find a sample of the app. I betcha I live in da hood.....

11. hey man make room behind that wall for me! i have brownies!

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Because there isn't weed in the suburbs or country?

13. I think it's a great idea. On more than one occasion it was made very clear to me that I was not welcome in certain areas of both Baltimore and DC. Each time it was a wrong turn trying to get somewhere sort of scenario.

14. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Nope. No crime, drugs, or minorities either.

15. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I don't see how anyone can play the race card on this. The app uses crime data and statistics to differentiate areas.......not racial data. The only person who brought up race was Tammy Chin, which makes me think that SHE is suggesting there is a correlation between race and crime. It could be said that her reasoning is slightly racist.

16. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    Of course there is...

There just aren't street corner weed dealers in the suburbs or country. In those places you have to KNOW a dealer.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    +1

I don't see how anyone here can be against it. I'm sure everyone here knows the neighborhoods and roads to avoid in their hometowns. Are you saying you don't want people new to the area to have the same awareness as you do? That's kinda selfish. If you're so concerned about those areas then why don't you go do work there yourself to fix the areas so that they're safer? :eyebrow:

18. If the app really looks like this

[​IMG]

Then I think it was a bad idea to call high-crime areas "the ghetto." I can plainly see that rubbing a lot of people the wrong way. This is just one of those times where I can't picture a board meeting where someone didn't raise his hand and say, "Uh, guys? You sure you wanna call this one 'avoid the ghetto?' " Great idea for an app though

19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I find it odd that they have board meetings for app development, but I guess why wouldnt they...?

20. You're right...from what I've seen about apps, they seem to be usually just a couple of buddies who put the idea together.

Hey, I see you're playing the Dawghouse. Will there be any Asian gangbangers this time around?