Avoiding Collision of Strap Button Screw with String Ferrules

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by The Ryantist, May 3, 2018.

1. In my upcoming build I'm planning to run strings through the body with ferrules. Since it's a 5 string I will have one string on the body centerline, and I also want the strap button on the centerline (so my strap can be same length among other guitars). There will only be room for a max screw length of 3/4". Is that long enough for end-grain in alder? Does being on the glue joint help or hurt the wood strength?

I could use a brass threaded insert for the strap button and then I'd only need a 3/8" long screw. Overkill?

2. Great question and good thinking, subbed for info!

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    You are right to be concerned. A simple screw into the wood would likely break out in that situation. I would epoxy in a brass threaded insert, and use a 6-32 hardened machine screw for the strap button.

pudge, RobertUI and The Ryantist like this.
  4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Bruce is onto it... an alternative idea is to just install the strap pin a little off centre so that it fits between the ferrules...

5. Or if you like symmetry, you can install two. Put them about 5 inches apart. You only attach the strap to the top one, but having two allows the bass to be more stable when you lean it against an amp.

franksidebottom and pudge like this.
  6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You don't have to move the strap button all the way outside of the string ferrule area, you just need to move the strap button over by 3/8" (assuming 3/4" string spacing) to get between the E and A string ferrules. If you really think you'd notice that small a difference in strap hang, I think I'd just get a dedicated strap.

7. Thanks all. I thought about the off-center strap button but I think it will bug my OCD :D

franksidebottom likes this.
  8. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    If you want to be really cool and secure, make up a small brass block that's inset into the heel of the body. In the center is a 6-32 threaded hole to take the machine screw with the strap button. The brass block is held on with two long screws that go into the body on either side of the ferrule hole of the A string.

9. Wow that sounds like quite the project! I'm sure the insert will be good enough. But I'm glad you suggested the epoxy, I wouldn't have thought of that.

10. JIO

JIO Be seeing you. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I position the (Dunlop) strap peg in the spot where when clipped to a strap it is one of the two points touching the floor to allow the bass to lean safely upright against an amp. (on stage) It also helps with general balance of the bass when playing.

fullsizeoutput_f66.jpeg

franksidebottom likes this.
  11. That's a cool string through concept. Also, that pickguard is so clean, it almost looks like a computer rendering haha!

JIO likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022