1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD AVRI 62 P Bass Black/Tort Player's Bass Extraordinaire

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Madcity Fats, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Price:
    Strings:
    If you're looking for a collectible, move along. If you're looking for a 62 reissue player with a head start on the mojo ... read on ...

This bass was advertised as a stock player by a reputable dealer. When I got it, to my surprise, I found some things were not in fact stock and I resolved to set it right. Here's what you're looking at:

This is a 1996 AVRI in the long discontinued black/tort. When I opened it up, the pickup leads were hanging by a thread at the pickup, and the electronics had been swapped out for a more modern circuit. The pot values were wrong, the cap value was wrong, the wiring was plastic. So first thing I did was set the electronics right with 250K CTS pots, a NOS .1uF paper-in-oil capacitor, and Switchcraft jack. Wiring is all cloth and the soldering job is actually clean and professional (better than I found it).

The pickup is a Fralin, regular wind, brand new when installed. The pickguard that was on it was an ugly red/black confetti number. Might have been stock, but a sin whatever the case. It had also been cut away for truss rod access. I replaced it with a vintage tort from Pickguardian. Holes were drilled for the covers and tug bar, but none were installed so I put in new ones (Fender OEM across the board) So to recap:

What's original: The body, bridge, knobs, neck and all neck hardware

What's not
    : The pickguard (Pickguardian), chrome covers (Fender), tug bar (Fender), pickup (Fralin) and electronics (wired to spec)

The good: Everything! Huge vintage Fender tone, 8.85 pounds, awesome vintage neck, minimal fret wear (has worn flats since before I got it -- currently strung with Chromes), Fralin vintage tone!

The bad: For me? Well, given the work I've got into this, I'm taking a loss. For you? Nothing. She'll be ready to rock out of the box!

Cosmetics: The body finish is nice shape with just some minor scuffs and swirls you'd expect of a working bass of this age. There's a small chip/ding near the forearm contour. The neck finish looks darn near new. In the pics, finish wear is somewhat amplified in the outdoor shots due to reflections. The indoor shots tend to downplay wear. The truth lies in between. She's been played and it shows, but she's got that mature beauty thing going on (you older cats know what I mean).

Looking for $1050 shipped (CONUS) in a nice Fender gig bag, which is less than I have invested. Not interested in trades at this point. You can throw cash offers by me, but honestly I can't afford to take a bath on this, so if it comes to that, I'll likely part it out, though I'd hate to do it. This thing is greater than the sum of its parts and it would be a shame to split it up.

IMAG0756_zpszkwegtwy.
    IMAG0752_zpsxljgmir1.
    IMAG0746_zpsxu5kpw43. IMAG0749_zpskjbrw7ac.
    IMAG0757_zps3j1coyt6.
    IMAG0753_zpsvtohgniq.
    IMAG0744_zpsnbg2klod.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    IngloriousOz and emjazz like this.
  2. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Black, Tort and Rosewood one of my favorite classic combinations.
    GLWTS

emjazz likes this.
  3. beautiful!

4. Madcity Fats

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks, guys. She plays as nice as she looks!

5. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Very cool. These are nitro too, eh?

6. Madcity Fats

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Yes indeed! The period-correct touches on these basses include a nitro finish, slab rosewood board (as opposed to the veneer they used after '62 and to this day), brass grounding plates in the pickup and control cavities, cloth wiring (in this case repro'd by Yours Truly), A hootenanny button on the back of the headstock, and correct decal for that era.

You can pay thousands for the real deal and be afraid to play it, or buy this one, play the bejeebus out of it, and have it looking like the real deal with just a little sweat equity!

TimBosby likes this.
  7. dcepe056

dcepe056

Sep 25, 2014
    Great Looking bass, I'm actually in the market for one of these basses. I was wondering if you had the original case candy?

8. Madcity Fats

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I don't have the original case or case candy, but you've got a PM incoming all the same ...

9. rbeck47

rbeck47 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    I'm set on P basses, but bump for a nice bass and great description.

10. Hillsidebass

Hillsidebass Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2005
    San Angelo, Texas
    Best P neck in the industry! Great price unless you just have to have a "mint" bass. Stick a Geezer pup in the thing and don't look back!

11. Madcity Fats

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks again, all. Payment is now pending on this one, but I'm marking it SOLD.

I am going to miss this one, but she's going to a good home, for sure. Growl on, girl!