Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

avri basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by hlugo, Feb 21, 2004.

1. hlugo

hlugo

Feb 21, 2004
    does anyone know anything about vihlo arvi, father of kai arvi. i am considering buying a 7/8 bass made by vilho in 1962.

2. I've played a couple of Kai's basses over the years...they sounded good. Can't help you on Dad's...How does it sound/play?

3. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    hlugo - i played a bass by the elder arvi in portland a few months back. it was strung up with light strings (corellis, i think) and sounded terrific under the bow. it featured an interesting adjustable bridge concept: the bridge legs were cut where one would expect to find adjuster wheels, but instead of these there were a number of flat square shims (sized identically to the bridge legs length- and width-wise, maybe 1/16 of an inch thick each) which were added or removed to raise or lower string height. though i don't know anything about the maker per se, this bass of his sounded terrific bowed (i prefer heavier strings for pizz) and i found the body style easy to play on.

sean p

4. Kai is using the same model his father created years ago. I've heard that the son is yet to live up to dad's basses and Kai's a pretty good already.