1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

avri basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by hlugo, Feb 21, 2004.

1. hlugo

hlugo

Feb 21, 2004
    does anyone know anything about vihlo arvi, father of kai arvi. i am considering buying a 7/8 bass made by vilho in 1962.

2. I've played a couple of Kai's basses over the years...they sounded good. Can't help you on Dad's...How does it sound/play?

3. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    hlugo - i played a bass by the elder arvi in portland a few months back. it was strung up with light strings (corellis, i think) and sounded terrific under the bow. it featured an interesting adjustable bridge concept: the bridge legs were cut where one would expect to find adjuster wheels, but instead of these there were a number of flat square shims (sized identically to the bridge legs length- and width-wise, maybe 1/16 of an inch thick each) which were added or removed to raise or lower string height. though i don't know anything about the maker per se, this bass of his sounded terrific bowed (i prefer heavier strings for pizz) and i found the body style easy to play on.

sean p

4. Kai is using the same model his father created years ago. I've heard that the son is yet to live up to dad's basses and Kai's a pretty good already.