Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aw, I went to guitar center today.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    First thing that caught my eye was this nice used Warwick Thumb NT 4 string. I picked it up and plugged it in. Man, what an instrument. I coudl play stuff so easily on it and it has an amazing slap tone. Also there was an amazing variety of tone to choose form.. I'm getting some minor GAS.

I also met a really cool bassist down there. He'd been playing for 16 years or so. Talked to me about Berklee (I'm considering going there). Who ever said Guitar Center was a place where you had to "prove yourself" against other bassits. I've met quite a few cool people there during my journies.

Who here besides Munki has a thumb NT?

2. TotalJam

TotalJam

Jul 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Im also considering berklee :hyper: , but for voice or Music Biz.

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    All depends which GC you're at. A destroy all the bassist at my local GC. It's fantastic. Best thing though is that they have awesome basses. Pedullas, Zons, Moduli dunno how it happened. Sure glad it did though.

4. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I remember one time when I was at L&M and this kid was slapping this really nice costly bass to death. I picked up a MIM P bass and started to play. The Kid started to slap harder and I looked up and he was looking at me. He wanted to duel. I wanted no part of this, I am not a duelest I am a bass player.

Be sides he was a youngin' I didn't want to make him cry. :D (Im so full of myself) :D

5. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    If you guys do try to get into Berklee one day, all I have to say is good luck with the audition.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'll need all the luck I can get :p

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

LOL! THAT is the kind of crap that makes GC's suck. You
    "destroy" all the bassists at your local GC?!?!?! You know every single bassist that ever went in there?

Listen,... understand that there is always someone better than you, and always someone worse than you. It's a fact of life.
    When I go into a music store, including GC's, I go to check out instruments, not to compete. Next time you think that you are "destroying" some old guy with your wicked slap riffs and your FiElDy clank tic tac tone, remember, the guy has probably been playing longer than you've been alive and probably knows more about groove and taste than you can imagine right now. Next time you are "destroying" some newbie kid, realize that in 3 or 4 yrs, that kid may put a ton of work in, and out-FiElDy you with one hand tied behind his back.

Either way, you make a hell of a lot more friends respecting other players than you do "destroying" thm.

8. Seeing as us Brits are somewhat behind the virtuosity that is kind of the 'norm' in the US, (I'm speaking from the POV of having heard some great players, but generally not seeing that many great younger players), it's weird the last time I went into somewhere like Sound Control, which I do rarely, and I played some Wooten stuff, some nice chords, or fingerstyle, I got small group of guys, all about 15, just gaping at me as i don't think they had ever heard of Jaco or Wooten - so all this stuff seemed so new. GC sounds like a nighmare - but these places can hold pleasant surprises too - and re: NT Thumb - say no more, they are are the nicest basses for slap, and just about everything else as well - the only down side is they are a little heavy - but saying that I tried a freind's Wal bass - and that was really heavy!

Rock on - but don't take the whole guitar-shop-wars thing too seriously - go and hang with REAL musicians to find out how good you are!

9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I have a "98 neck-thru Thumb, it really is a beautiful instrument. I'm not too happy with the way it balances with a strap but the tone is outstanding. About Guitar Center, I visited the one in Arlington Heights, IL last week and it was a good experience. They had a nice selection of basses that included a breath taking Warwick Streamer Stage II. The associate that I delt with (Jeremy) was very professional and I ended up buying a GK400RB combo that sounds fantastic, especially with my Thumb!

10. Mr Funk - I've been lucking with the balance of my Thumb - no neck dive issues at all - and I recently got a Comfort Strap - which is the only way to ride for me these days!

Re the GK - I am very happy with my EBS HD350 but I am still thinking of getting one of the cute 150W baby rigs - just for small jazz gigs - but then I guess I should get me a small jazz gig first as well!

M

11. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    When i go to gc, I definitly dont try to compete with other bassists. Why dont you try doing a duet? Thatd be cool. Also, dont try to show you are better, just talk with other bassists, about technique, what they like to play, etc, so make a friend rather than show off your already old slap riffs.

12. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    did you go to the gc in danvers? have you checked out the new one in nashua yet?

13. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Yeah, I went to danvers. I haven't tried out the Nashua one yet. I want to go sometime this summer.

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    As a person who has been playing for many years, I tend to find some music store situations to be annoying or depressing depending on my mood. I hate seeing cocky players who act like they are God because they memorized a few Marcus Miller or Victor Wooten riffs/songs! I feel like saying, "Yeah, you're pretty good, so what?" I also hate it when someone cranks up the amp to 11 and nobody else can check out an instrument or amp because they have to dominate everything.

The funny thing is that I used to spend a fair amount of time in Nashville at some music stores where some heavyweight pros came in to check out equipment and play. Often the salesmen were touring musicians who worked for big time artists and were featured in Bass Player. I say this was funny, because these certified pros were always gracious and friendly. They always had good things to say about others playing, even those who were clearly inferior to them. To me it is proof that real pros are classy and mature. They don't need to have a circle of admirers to feel good about themselves. I suppose my experience in Nashville is what makes me so disgusted with music store wankers.

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    So YOU'RE the kid we all laugh at every time decent players step into the place? GC chops won't get you anywhere in a band, berklee, or even GC for the matter. Oh well, revenge for getting destroyed in Grammar studies I presume.

16. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    it is alot smaller than the one in danvers but i was in there last week and they had a 2003 modulus q5 fretless with a barts and a walnut top for 1200 but someone snatched it up real quick

17. I've only gone to the one in Danvers, but the selection of basses is never that great... there are tons of Ibanez, some Warwicks, a few Spectors... but that's it. I tend to get a headache after about 15 minutes cause of the inevitable 16 year old busting out the FiELdY riffs...I'm gonna have to check out the Nashua one soon.

18. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    There was this one with long hair, bandana, metallica T-shirt, and ripped jeans. He comes in with his girlfriend, and he picks up a short scale gretsh (Sp?), plugs it in, turns the volume up to 11, and starts playing crazy train and and smoke on the water.. Oy.

19. my, my, my, all that negativity :ninja: ummm....some of you guys need hugs...or large quantities of beer! :D

:bag: