Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aw poo! Temporarily switching fro 7 to 6 strings.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Last night, I was putting on my new 7 string set of strings (funkmaster-esk light gauge) on my conky, and I'm finally on the F string, and I realize the tuning key is broken! A little plastic thing fell off and it's moving around and just doesn't work. So, Got to live without the F until next week! Gahhh!!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Was it like that when you bought it? How much will it cost to fix?

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've actually had that happen to one of my customs - the tuner has a little plastic washer on the key shaft that enables the key to turn under pressure, and it was cracked so it wouldn't turn that easily. it happens, just need a new key heh.

4. Oh dear - hope it doesn't cause the neck too much of a problem. The high-F carries the most tension, so the neck might get a little unbalanced?

Having said that, that neck is strong enough even to take an extra high string.

5. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I might be switching too, but from 7 to 5 for a while, thinking of selling my GT-7, the dude that wants buy it is willing to pay the 850€ I requested, thats 1123 $ to you ppl :p

6. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Is he some kind of dummy? :)

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, believe it or not, in many string sets the d string is the highest tension.

that's definitely the truth. i've heard of some guys converting their gt7's to 8 strings, with good success.

8. Interesting. Anyway, I think you know what I mean. :)

I was one of those...

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    of course. it's important to make sure that the string tension is properly balanced, especially on an erb. conklin necks, though, are super strong, so i dont think this will be a problem as long as it's not for too long.

10. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    Do you know anywhere to buy just that plastic washer? I have a tobias that one of the keys needs that washer, and I don't want to buy a new tuning key just for that. Somebody must sell it?

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Okay, ordered the tuner last night. It should be here this week since it ships tomorrow.

12. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Umm...you can get the little plastic washer from your local hardware store or harvest from an unusable bass from your local bass retailer/luthier, repair person....in the meantime, if there's a screw on the end of the tuning key, I'd just tighten the screw so that it's snug and keep playing...it won't hurt anything in the long run. I've had it happen to me a couple of times now. Just use a little bit of oil to reduce friction...

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hmm. i don't know, but probably there's something comparable available at home depot. worth a check at least, i guess.

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I could simply enjoy the temporary pleasure of playing one of the Few GT-6's in existance :p

15. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    Yeah, if I was still living stateside I could probably go to a real hardware store and choose between an assortment of washers to fit. But being that I live on Guam I need to mail order practically everything, so I'd like to find this online somewhere and get a few of them. I'll try and google something that may work, I'll post what I find. In the meantime if anyone has ordered this part before please post, thanks.

16. Maybe get in contact with Gotoh (I think they make the tuning machines) and ask them what to order.

17. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I got the tuner from stewmac. It fits fine and works well. I just need the bass to be setup now.

18. I'd be interested to see any pictures you have of your GT8...

Did you fit an additional high string or go lower to F#?