1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aw, someone didn't like the Chi-Sonics...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jabberbox, Sep 25, 2008.

1. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    thats sad. must be someone that has alot of money, to treat it like it was $100 bass

2. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    The space doesn't bother him....but it sure bothers me.

3. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    It bothers me as well... That just ruined the bass for me. I could never go through a mod if it won't look stock (clean) after.

I say choose your pickups then put a custom pickguard on it going over the bridge p/u as well, that ought to take care of it... But then you're stuck with a huge p/g.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    As long as he sells the original Chisonics along with the bass, I see no problem for the next owner.

5. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    unless the Darkstars are taller, leaving an oddly shaped gap on either side of the Chi's.
    and i think the 'Stars are taller. so either pup you choose, you'll have a strange gap on either side. :(

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    There's always the fill + re-paint option, but it'd have to be a better deal to go through with that for me.

7. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    of course, at that price, it's cheaper than the projected price for the Skyline version. and you'd get a set of Darkstars, to boot!
    assuming you could live with those gaps. sadly, i could not. nor do i have any use for darkstars at this time, and money for a project bass doesn't exist.:crying:

8. svtbass

svtbass Supporting Member

Read his listing. He states the routes were widened. Neither of the pups will look good. And it appears he had a guard on it by the numerous holes.

Or possibly, in one of his rare moments of enlightenment, he actually realized he'd butchered an expensive bass, he reaches for the shotgun...:help:

and commits bassicide

No matter what, this one is a plug & refin. You could sell one of the pup sets and have a decent down payment for the fin.

9. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    Yup, from the auction:

Urgh. Nothing about this bass or its owner makes sense. Surely this project took some thought process to plan, and surely the owner knew that to install the DS, the bass would basically have to be mangled, leaving ugly gaps behind. (This is all assuming that he did it himself.)

What baffles me is that he decided to do it anyway, despite knowing what the outcome will be.

10. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Too bad. It was a nice bass and it's butchered. He should have cut his losses when he just didn't like the ChiSonics because he's not going to get the asking price for a mutilated bass. I'd consider paying $500 for it and have Lakland make a new body for me and see if selling the pickups would get me close to recouping. It'd be cheaper at this point to just get a Skyline rather than paying over $1000 for a hacked up decade.

That's a damned shame.

KO

11. +1 That bass has been butchered :scowl: and they are still asking what I consider premium price for it. Darkstars or not, that price is high for a bass that's been routed so poorly.

12. svtbass

svtbass Supporting Member

Ya know what? There's still plenty of space left between the Darkstars to shove the Chisonics in and install a few BCRichey type pots & toggles.

13. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Hey, it's still a US made Lakland with Darkstars. For somebody, it could be a good deal. But if you have the holes filled and get it professionally refinished, it's not such a bargain anymore.

For my tastes anyway, the Darkstar clips on the Lakland site sound richer than the Chi-Sonic clips. I was hoping the tone of the Chi-Sonics would be closer to the DS pickups; I'm not crazy about the idea of retrofitting a DS (or two) on one of my basses.

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Darkstars sound way, way better than Chi-sonics to my ears.
    They have a lot of presence, incredible dynamics and a lot of personnality. Chi-sonics deliver your average so-called vintage tone.
    What the guy did is still a massacre though.

15. I don't know that it's a fair comparison, as the only clips on the Lakland site are of the single coil type ChiSonics. Once we hear the Humbucker Chi-Sonics, I think it will be a more accurate comparison.

16. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Doesn't bother me a bit as far as purchasing the bass goes. Jeanies Pickguards will make a pair of attractive pickup surrounds in whatever material you want that will make that bass look just fine.

At or near the starting price It's still a smoking deal for a US Lakland. If I had the money...

17. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    AFAIK, Darkstars are single-coils.

18. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    +1 darkstars are single coils, and dead silent single coils to boot

19. ...And I just spit coffee everywhere