1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Awesome bassist post on the Phoenix CL

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Sep 25, 2010.

1. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/muc/1972433180.html

Let me quote it before it gets flagged:

Type "bassist" in the search tool and see the whole "can't find a bassist waahahaaahyy????" back and forth discussion.

By the way, if the author is a TBer, please come forward!

2. Andysalina5

Andysalina5

Jun 8, 2010
    I agree with that guy 100 percent! he knows whats up

3. taphappy

taphappy doot de doo

Sep 28, 2007
    Tempe, Arizona
    Nice!

I sent him an invite, just in case he's not around. Seems to need a support group :)

4. Wise wise words.

5. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    I love this guy!

6. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Some of it is interesting, some of it's BS if you ask me. If a band doesn't build from the rhythm section up, so what?

Sounds like another big shot. Dime a dozen, not a rare breed at all.

7. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Um, then they have no rhythm ie: suck.

8. taphappy

taphappy doot de doo

Sep 28, 2007
    Tempe, Arizona
    Big shot? What? Read again.

It's not a matter of building a band from the rhythm section up. If you find your bassist last, whatever. Point is, don't do it as an afterthought. If you have the attitude that we're there to hang out with the rest of the "band" to fill out the "sound" and bring more "beer", we're not gonna be interested in the gig. If your drummer can't at least figure out how to count to four, consistently? We're not gonna be interested in the gig.

This was a response to bands on Phoenix CL complaining about not being able to find a bassist. There are plenty of good players around. The bands looking and failing? There's a reason.

9. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Fellow TB'ers. Glad you liked my CL post :)

Sometimes somebody just HAS to give the posters on CL a "bassist" reality check from time to time. No wonder 80% of the posters can't find a decent bassist. They just plain don't get where we as bassist's are coming from.

The parts regarding the drummers are IMO dead on. The times I've left bands over the years were mostly due to duummers that just didn't stack up, and with ego trippers running a close second.

Hey, I don't need to play with the greatest drummer out there, but if I get the chance I sure will. Overall I just want a drummer thats solid and lets me do my thing in harmony with him / her to lay down a foundation that makes the group better, and I expect to treated as an equal member of the band because of it. IMO that's not too much to ask.

Honestly, after over 30 + years of on and off playing and half of those years straight road work, I just have no tolerance anymore for playing with a drummer that sucks. Been there, done that too many times over the years while I was out on the road and had to make a living.

Now if a drummer contacts me about playing with them or building a group, I just go over to their place with no gear and tell them to start playing. I'll know within 15 minutes of hearing them if they are any good or not and I'm betting just about any decent bassist can do the same. If they can't lay it down and make me WANT to grab my bass and join in, I'm not going to waste my time. I've been called a few choice names for telling them that, but I don't care. Over the years I've played in some of the worst rat hole bars you can imagine and been called every name in the book at one time or another so their stuff doesn't get to me. LOL

They don't get it, it ain't about ego, it's about a relationship. I have to have a connection with the drummer to make it work and have fun while doing it. I'm sure every bassist feels the same.

C'mon guys / gals admit it! No bassist wants to play with a crappy drummer nor do they want to be treated like "oh, that's just our bass player". So I had to lay it out there.

Keep Low :bassist:

10. taphappy

taphappy doot de doo

Sep 28, 2007
    Tempe, Arizona
    Ha! Figured. Good stuff :)

11. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm sorry, but I've no use for Craigslist preachers; just because they play bass and we can identify with their rant don't make it right. It's still a rant better served by a forum (like TB !) That ain't what CL is about. I don't look for professionals in my field on CL and I assume pro musicians feel the same way.

12. dude the audition thing was dead on!

i've done that so many times. "hey lets hear how u sound... if we're interested and u fit then we're good to go" "hey ur good, i don't think we need to listen to anyone else... ur in!" ...um nope.i'm not playing with u clowns, if you ever get a gig and need a fill in, i'll learn all ur songs in a hour!

13. Same here too, I am done with "auditions".

This is a half-ass clownery where I have to learn tunes, sometimes none of them that I know, and in the end it turns out to be a big waste of time.

Either they don't have a real project, or they take forever to make up their mind and after 3 days it's me who write an email telling them to f-off, basically.

I meet people, I jam with them, they know me.

I am done auditioning. I'd rather have a fun jam session and you call me if you want to play again.

I am not a pro myself. I play for fun. Auditioning is not fun. It's a waste of my time.

14. taphappy

taphappy doot de doo

Sep 28, 2007
    Tempe, Arizona
    Eh. IMO, no, don't rant on CL. But if someone DOES rant on CL, and it starts going into a back and forth, a decisive response can be quite functional, and educational. In this case, I agree with it.

I'll also agree that pro musicians/gigs are usually found by word of mouth. I usually don't bother with places like CL, but out here is an odd scene because it's so spread out. Original bands use it, we have a lot of transplants, and you can sometimes (rarely, but hey) find a real gem that you wouldn't have otherwise.

My last originals band was highly respected in the local scene when it started out, but so non-standard that we had an impossibly hard time finding a singer that could fit in to our sound, even with feelers out everywhere. So we ended up posting in every dark corner we could find. Eventually found our guy this way, who was an unreal talent, but an unknown without any ties to the local scene.

15. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Honest answer and question. It's just my opinion based on my years and experiences playing. My opinion has been classified as BS from time to time. It's not meant to be fact just a way to possibly help groups posting on CL understand why they can't find a decent bassist.

As to the question of not building from the rhythm section up. Again just my opinion. There's no law set in stone that says you have to do it that way. I just think it works better. I know there are hundreds of players out there who come into an already established group and it works out great. I've done it myself.

However, I just feel your chances of being "just the bass player" are increased if you're responding to an ad on CL that reads like " just need bass to round out our group". I honestly have to wonder why they have a "group" but have no bassist. Hmm..... there must be a reason why?

I just feel that if as a player you already have a drummer that you're tight with and you can both lay down soild groove, then you already have a great foundation that will enable you to post up an ad offering the thing that every group wants most. A good tight rhytnm section. You will have your choice of musicians dying to get in and build something up.

Big shot. Man how I wish that was true. I'd like nothing better than to "have it made". That way I wouldn't have to work my butt off everyday to make ends meet. That would be sweet :)

Dime a dozen, rare breed? Never claimed to be. I'm just another player who enjoys playing the bass and likes to have fun while doing it.

16. Phoenix are Bass player here. The drummer thing, wow, that is so true brutha. It is truly painful playing with a drummer that was not married to a click track for a while. Great drummers are worth there weight in diamonds imo.

17. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    taphappy is correct. Here in this area CL is a place where on rare occasions you can actually hook up with decent players. I've hooked up with some players for casuals and fill ins with good results. Other than word of mouth there's just not too many places to scout for gigs or musicians, so CL does get used here. The real players are few and far between though.

I'll jump on there from time to time to have a look see for any open mic or open jams where I can maybe have some fun playing some stuff and see if anyone shows up that's a good player and might want to get something going. I rarely post up a rant or advice on CL but there are just so many posts where somebody can't find a bassist and I just felt like I had to comment. Maybe it will help. Who knows, it can't hurt.

It is in the community section on CL so it's kind of like a forum and you do get some rants, flames, and advice posts from time to time.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Some of their requirements I think are reasonable. For example, "must have pro gear and transportation" is almost certainly in there because of the countless knuckleheads who respond with, "well, I don't have an amp right now, and my driver's license is suspended, but I'm really great on bass." If a player doesn't have pro gear and a car, I don't want them to answer my ads. I got every member of my current band (except my brother) off craigslist.

19. mech

mech

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    If I could add another thing that makes a great drummer, IMHO, is one that can play a worn out song with the feel it requires and deserves every time the song comes up whether the gig is in a dive or coliseum. Means they're a true pro. This is really true for any instrument.

mech

20. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Or doesn't even own a bass!!! I've heard of that a time or 2, even.

By the way, your sig. reminds me of something I used to see often in another, completely unrelated forum...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021