Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Awesome "concert" yesterday (SXSW)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DigMe, Mar 17, 2006.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm into this Austin musician named Red Hunter. He's had various incarnations of his music but the current one is a band called Peter and the Wolf. (check out the sample mp3 called "The Fall" at that link). I was out at my land this week outside of Austin and I get this email telling me about this party he's having at his loft for free. That was good timing so I went yesrerday. This show was Peter and the Wolf and about 5 bands from all over the US who are here for South by Southwest playing in his living room. He served mimosas and some people brought chow potluck style. So you've got average Joe's and music industry types mingling and drinking mimosas while great bands are performing in this guy's living room. It was a freaking cool day and a great collection of shows. Despite all the other bands from all over the highlight for me was Peter and the Wolf. They just killed and unplugged in a casual setting is totally their element IMO. He had a girl on violin, a female vocalist singing harmonies, a guy playing banjo and other instruments and (perhaps most notably) Annie Clark (guitarist for the Polyphonic Spree) sitting in on guitar with him and she did a solo set too. That's one great thing about underground bands and music...can you imagine, say, Aerosmith or somebody similar trying to have a show like that? Other good performances were Phosphorescent (Atlanta I think) and I was also impressed with the voice and ambiance of this chick named Marissa Nadler (NYC).

Today there was another free show downtown that I really wanted to go to with The Castanets playing among others but I had things to do.

bc