AWESOME Custom Laky P-Bass w/Jazz Neck and Dark Star PUP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BuffaloBob4343, Oct 24, 2005.

1. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    It's been a while since I posted here. Finally got to take a few pics of my new custom Lakland P-Bass.

The neck is hand radiused to the specs of a '62 RI. Mother of Pearl blocks, white binding, Drop D tuner, and hint of jazz with no PG and control plate.

Standard Indian Rose Wood FB over QS maple neck.

And the Dark Star makes her bad to the bone! :bassist:

Oh, and last but not least, signed by Dan Lakin and Carl Pedigo (who hand radiused the neck).

2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
  3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    That bass is stunning.
  4. I bet that bass sounds great. I don't know how you guys feel but I think the laklands with darkstars lean a little on the ugly side. I saw the site. They make a big deal about it with the decade. But thats just me. I thought the thunderbirds were ugly and refused to try one. a few weeks ago a local shop brought a new one in. They about had to rip the thing out of my hands!!!! I couldnt put it down. I loved the sound of it!!! I guess the same goes with yours. I don't know of any places around here that has them.
  5. That's a sweet bass. My Skyline Glaub with a Darkstar came today. Mine is 3-tone burst, rosewood and tort guard. Basically a Skyline version of the bass John Stirrat of Wilco has been playing. Can't wait to get home to play it!

6. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Thanks and be sure to post some pics!! I want to see it! I think you will love the DS pup, too.

Thanks to everyone. I have been made envious so many times lurking this board that I just had to share. lol!

Warwick, you'd love the sound of this bass if you love T-birds and Thumbs. This has a growl to die for. As for the aesthetics, I know what you mean. I like the Decades and Hollowbodies OK with twin Dark Stars, but I'm not crazy about the looks of twin Dark Stars on Jazzes for example.

However, I do love the look of them on P-basses as a single coil. The pics do NOT do this P-bass justice. I can't leave this bass alone not only because it draws me to it whenever I look at it, but also because it plays and sounds even better.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

That's one heck of a great-looking bass.

I'd bet it sounds even better than it looks, too. Nice choice!
  8. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Nice bass. Inspired by Wilco?
  9. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    OK that's it now you got me going!! :D
  10. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Actually, I bought this from The Dude at the "Pit" and he told me that he had originally had it built for himself personally. I don't recall him saying anything about Wilco being an influence, but it's possible. He said he just dreamed up everything he would want in a Lakland P-bass and placed the order.

He started getting involved with the evolution of the Decade and then he decided to buy a Decade also (probably one of the first off of the line or something special like that). So when the factory notified him that the P-Bass was ready (like 9 months or so later), he decide he really couldn't justify them both, so he put this one up on the blocks.

As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it, so I went to scramble mode and Steve worked with me to get it into my hands directly from the factory. He asked Dan and Carl to sign it for me, which they did. :hyper:

Needless to say, while I am MUCH lighter in the wallet, I am very pleased with this axe, so no complaints there!!
  11. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    that is amazing! I bet it grooves!
  13. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    It's nice to know the story behind that bass. I didn't know the Dude ordered it originally. Has he had a chance to lick it? He seems to be fond of doing that.
  14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Very Nice!
    Almost what I want Dan to build me.
    I'am getting a USA Glaub with single Darkstar pickup, fretless,
    ebony fingerboard, unlined, 1.75 nut. 60's p-bass neck.
    Have not decided on color?
    Maybe Candy Apple Red, or Teal Green?
  15. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY

No he hasn't deposited any of his DNA on her that I am aware of. She shipped directly from the factory. So unless Dan or Carl licked her, she is a virgin from that persepctive anyway. :spit:

From what I understand, just after I put my down on her, Dan was actually trying to sell her (unaware that I had worked the deal with Steve) to the guy who currently plays bass with the Blues Brothers Band. He was interested but wanted to gig with her first and Dan wouldn't let him.

He related this story to Steve the next day and the Dude was like "HEY Dan! She's SOLD already!!"

I was glad Dan didn't let him take her out, much less sell her to him.

Mojo Man, I don't think you could go wrong with either of those colors, especially with ebony. I love the Lakland CAR, but a flamed Teal Burst could be pretty amazing too.
  16. DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    That is beautiful............I got to play a DS'd Glaub a little while back, and it was awesome......Killer Tone!
  17. Just a couple quick shots of mine. Plays fantastic! Tough to describe the tone. It's like a SCPB on steroids I guess. Came strung with rounds. Once they are dead some TI Flats are going on this baby.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Just killer! I'd buy a 5-string if they decided to do one.
  19. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY

And don't be afraid to tweak the PUP for maximum performance. There is a thread over on the Pit under the Dark Star forum that discusses this. Of course, give it some time.

As for the SS rounds, they are coming off mine, too. However, I am replacing mine with TI Superalloys. I like the round wound sound, but Stainless Steel is a bit too much for me. The Nickel is enough taming of the sound for me.

Anyway, take bigger pics soon. I love the red tort with the tricolor! :hyper: