Awesome DI blind comparison

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Nuage420, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Nuage420

Nuage420 smile Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Georgia

Great blind test!

2. ebo

ebo

Jul 15, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Wow..this was by far the best conversation and side by side comparison I’ve seen on DI’s. I own one that isn’t included on this video, but I understand the subtleties a bit more now. Thanks for sharing.

Minimalist and Nuage420 like this.
  3. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    Georgia
    What DI do you own?

4. Cave Puppy

Cave Puppy "Humph Bo, he's wond!" - John Lennon

Jan 13, 2015
    creamyj.bandcamp.com
    That vid popped up on my recommended list. I’ve yet to watch it.

Nuage420 likes this.
  5. ebo

ebo

Jul 15, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    I have an MXR M80. I’ve tried others as well. I don’t use the distortion side other than the smallest amount of grit and a boost.

Nuage420 likes this.
  6. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    Georgia
    I had that one as my very first bass pre and it's so good! With the gate too you is hard to beat for value.

7. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Wow, I liked the JDI the best and I already have it!
    Some of the fuzzier ones came through a little thin to my ears.
    Sounds like some effort was made to match levels, but that can still be a huge deal when it comes to affecting our perception.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Zbysek and Nuage420 like this.
  8. Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I wonder how the cheap passive unit would fare with an active bass.

Nuage420 likes this.
  9. Cave Puppy

Cave Puppy "Humph Bo, he's wond!" - John Lennon

Jan 13, 2015
    creamyj.bandcamp.com
    I have a passive whirlwind IMP on my board. It sounds fine to me. I haven’t recorded with it yet.

Nuage420 likes this.
  10. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    Georgia
    I've considered getting a reddi and noble but as a hobby player this tells me to just get a JDI and call it a day. I knew right away that 3 and 4 we're the color box or ampeg, not a fan of either, and the Amazon sounded really bad. Between the rest I had guessed 2 and 5 as the reddi or noble but I'm the mix everything but the 3,4, and 6 sounded great.

11. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Cape Cod
    It’s too bad he chose the “total @sss” setting on the color box. Still… very useful shootout. I would still like to mess around with the cb.

SteveFromBerlin and 6-3-2 like this.
  12. moon-bass

moon-bass They call me El Jefe Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    I have a CB and it's great. Sounds like this wasn't EQ'ed correctly.

Nuage420 and Lammchop93 like this.
  13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Interesting !

Nuage420 likes this.
  14. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I use a Behringer passive direct box, $30, for all my gigs with my active 5-string. Clear, neutral, great definition, reliable, rugged, no need for any further buffering. My sound man loves it.

81CePht4TsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

15. tothemax

tothemax

Nov 1, 2013
    Annapolis Area
    I'm not sure if that's the same DI, but I've seen him do a shootout before and go with the $30 DI's he keeps on hand for when he's working gigs.
    My bad, different video...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Nuage420 likes this.
  16. Sub-Frequency

Sub-Frequency

Sep 19, 2017
    I wish he he compared the Ampeg without the scrambler mixed in. Really don't like the scrambler at all, but wanted to hear how the ampeg compared clean.

17. Flog

Flog a Viking in Tejas Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Denton, Tx.
    Interesting and well done. while technically more than a DI, would love to see how the Arkham boxes compare. The Zephyr recorded really makes a bold statement on the bass. commanding tone even listening back on a cell phone.

Nuage420 likes this.
  18. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Thanks for this!
    I don't ever want OD from a DI and would have also like to hear the Ampeg without the scrambler so I left this out of my decisions.
    For me the top three were 1,5, and 7. An even solo'd the difference was minimal and something I don't think ever would be heard in a busy rock mix. I did not care for #4 or #6.
    The Radial JDI was by far the best performance vs. cost for me.

And remember kids, all your favorite rock hits from the 60's & 70's were for the most part recorded with a passive line matching transformer (like a Jensen) until the Countryman 85 came out in the late 70's early 80's.

19. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Fantastic video. Lots of stuff to chew on. Thanks to the OP for sharing!

I've always had great results with a Countryman Type 85... wonder how that would've fallen into this test.

Nuage420 and Jefenator like this.
  20. Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I was impressed by how various players & producers were able to discern the more expensive units in the blind. Also, apparently a little bit of dirt might be part of that "sauce" they are looking for. (I'm sure there's plenty of that going on in the post-power sends from my 50W tube heads.)
    One thing that got me curious was the mention of the Noble's power supply adding to its value. That got me wondering, exactly what price tier of power supply would the Noble equate to? (Not that I'm going to be needing a $350 power supply for my tuner.)

VerryBerry, 6-3-2 and Nuage420 like this.